Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 27" IMac just started running slow and has a hard time opening Yahoo and other websites

My 27" IMac just started running slow and has a hard time opening Yahoo and some other websites. I bought it last August, but it has only started running slow in the last two weeks. I have reset the pram, restarted with Cmd-R. I restarted it in safe mode and as guest and it still runs slow. I used Etrecheck, the only suspicious think I wonder about is " 3.10 GB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(5)". What is webkit?

last week I installed 2 Apple airpot Extremes, and hard wired both Airports and my I mac, my wifi and whole system is running 5,8mbps download speed, 5.9mbps upload, and 11ms ping. I uninstalled Silverlight, Lightroom, and most apps I use, But I cant figure the problem out. Any ideas on what I can do to get my mac back up to speed?? I am about to take my mac to the Apple store since it it is still under warranty.

Regards,

Rick

Top Processes by Memory:

3.10 GB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(5)

698 MB kernel_task

475 MB softwareupdated

254 MB Solitaire

180 MB Safari

EtreCheck version: 2.9.1 (251)

Report generated 2016-02-03 22:56:23

Download EtreCheck from http://etrecheck.com

Runtime 1:18

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Other problem

Hardware Information:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

iMac - model: iMac14,2

1 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 4-core

8 GB RAM Upgradeable - [Instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 0/DIMM1

Empty

BANK 1/DIMM1

Empty

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: Unknown

Video Information:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M - VRAM: 1024 MB

iMac 2560 x 1440

System Software:

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21) - Time since boot: about 2 days

Disk Information:

APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 disk0 : (1 TB) (Rotational)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk1) / : 999.01 GB (942.10 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 999.35 GB Online

USB Information:

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple, Inc. Keyboard Hub

Apple Inc. Apple Keyboard

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper:

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Application Support/org.pqrs/Karabiner

[loaded] org.pqrs.driver.Karabiner (10.15.0 - SDK 10.11) [Support]

System Launch Agents:

[loaded] 157 Apple tasks

[running] 79 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[loaded] 191 Apple tasks

[running] 96 Apple tasks

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] org.pqrs.Karabiner.load.plist [Support]

[loaded] One Apple task

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Karabiner Application (/Applications/Karabiner.app)

Other Apps:

[running] com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000003.Solitaire

[running] com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000007.Karabiner_AXNotifier

[running] com.etresoft.EtreCheck.115232

[running] org.pqrs.Karabiner.73632

Internet Plug-ins:

Default Browser: Version: 601 - SDK 10.11

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.41212.0 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

3rd Party Preference Panes:

None

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

4% WindowServer

3% fontd

0% kernel_task

0% Dock

0% cloudpaird

Top Processes by Memory:

698 MB kernel_task

475 MB softwareupdated

254 MB Solitaire

180 MB Safari

Virtual Memory Information:

86 MB Free RAM

7.91 GB Used RAM (1.03 GB Cached)

10 MB Swap Used

Diagnostics Information:

Feb 1, 2016, 02:05:24 PM Self test - passed

Feb 1, 2016, 01:47:18 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/com.apple.WebKit.Networking_2016-02-01-134718_[ redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Details]

/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.We bKit.Networking.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.Networking

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 11:25 PM

4 replies

Feb 4, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

My computer was slow before the network upgrade, but it was faster 3-4 weeks ago. It's slow to boot up, besides slow web browsing. That wasn't the reason I did the network upgrade though, the wifi signal was very weak through most of the house, so the upgrade was needed. Btw, the network upgrade was performed by a networking professional.

Regards, Rick

What is webkit.webcontent?

Feb 4, 2016 8:43 AM in response to alazgr8

I have no use for the app you ran and I'm not interested in its output.

There are many possible causes for problems with web browsing. Below are some simple steps that may either solve the problem or point the way to a solution.

Please back up all data before making any changes.

1. Restart your router and also your broadband device, if they're separate.

2. If you connect to the the router with Wi-Fi, turn Wi-Fi off and then back on.

3. If you connect with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi.

4. Take the steps recommended in this support article.

5. If the Downloads button (with the icon of a downward-pointing arrow) is showing in the toolbar, click it and then click Clear in the box that appears. The download history will be removed.

6. In the Security tab of the preferences window, uncheck the box marked

Warn when visiting a fraudulent website

if it's checked.

7. If you're running OS X 10.10 or later, select the Search tab. Uncheck the box marked

Enable Quick Website Search

if it's checked.

8. If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select the Advanced tab and uncheck the box marked

Stop plug-ins to save power

Quit and relaunch the browser.

9. Select the Security tab and uncheck the box marked

Allow WebGL

if it's checked. If it's not checked, check it.

10. If you're running OS X 10.10 or later, open the General pane in System Preferences and uncheck the box marked

Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices

if it's checked.

11. Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest.

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

12. Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same? What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

13. If other browsers and Internet applications are also affected, follow these instructions and test.

14. Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the boxes marked Safari and Photos, if they're checked.

15. Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and if so, are they affected?

16. If you can, test Safari on another network.

17. If you know that you've modified the hosts file to block access to certain servers, undo that modification.

18. Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

After testing, restart as usual.

Feb 6, 2016 11:10 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have completed all the items you suggested except for #16. Starting in guest, and in recovery mode made no difference, my computer is still exceptionally slow in opening many website. I have run several other diagnostics and nothing seems to turn up or help. I will probably make an appointment and take my computer to the Apple Store for help. Does Apple have an exchange program where I could exchange my computer for the newest model that came out in October 2015?

Regards, Rick

My 27" IMac just started running slow and has a hard time opening Yahoo and other websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.