Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

C Button doesn't work on MaCbook Pro

Suddenly when I try to type the "C" button on my MaCBook Pro it doesn't work in lower Case format... only upper Case... and not while holding ****... only while turning on the Caps loCk button.

When I hit the "C" key in lower Case mode, the "Edit" tab in Firefox is highlighted, but nothing else happens. Lower Case "C" doesn't work anymore. It's beComing quite the pain.

Can someone please advise?

I am running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 whiCh is updated

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 11:54 PM

14 replies

Feb 4, 2016 11:11 AM in response to Mauiloving

When I open the keyboard viewer I can hit the "C" key with the mouse on it works. I can also watch the keyboard viewer as I'm typing and when I watch what happens when I press "C" on the MacBook Pro keypad then the viewer shows the Command Key is highlighted. Pressing the "C" button is really just like pressing Command.

What did I do? I remember typing quickly last night and I must have hit a few wrong keys.

I can't even take a screenshot now to show an example 😕

Please Help

Feb 4, 2016 12:46 PM in response to Mauiloving

go to settings/users and groups.

click the lock, enter your password and hit + for creating another user. name it.

log out from your existing user, via the apple menu. log into the new user.

this user is absolutely new and untouched. check if your c is working now.

if so, there is a problem in some settings in your normal user.

if c does not work, there is a problem deep in your machine.

this will not solve your problem, but will clearly point you into the right direction for further investigation.

Feb 4, 2016 7:13 PM in response to my ginger

I ran repair permissions in disk utilities and that did not help. Just for ***** I removed the hard drive and installed an old one. With the old hard drive installed the C key didn't work AT ALL. Nor did the Command key. Isn't that even more strange?!?

I am going to follow the advice by mdesignffm next. Please let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks for your help!

Feb 6, 2016 11:13 PM in response to mdesignffm

After setting up the new user the "C" key did NOT work at all with the new account. Even more strange... it hardly worked when using CAPS lock. It was less functional under the new account than the previous user.

When switching back to the old user I am still able to only use the "C" key when hitting CAPS first or by using the Keyboard Viewer.

I have an external keyboard hooked up now and it works fine... the "C" key woks great without any issues on the external keyboard.

Feb 11, 2016 1:32 AM in response to Mauiloving

as mentioned already, your keyboard is defect. you need to replace or repair it. maybe some contact spray will work, or maybe replacing some minor part inside, but not sure at all. anyway, you need to take a look inside.

i recommend to have it repaired by somebody professional.

if you want tp try yourself, you can find instructions here: http://www.ifixit.com/. afaik getting to the keyboard is a lot of work since you need to disassemble almost everything. some people find it easy. some people break their machines. it is up to you.

C Button doesn't work on MaCbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.