Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Way for iTunes to respect my custom Artist/Album assignments?

Hi! I'm trying to port my iTunes music library (over 11,000 songs) from the hard-drive of my old laptop (a Windows machine) to my MacBook Air (MacOS 10.10.5, iTunes 12.3.2) by copying the iTunes Media:Music folder on the old hard-drive to the iTunes Media:Automatically Add to iTunes folder on my Mac. As part of the process, I was hoping to "re-brand" many of the files to accomplish things like making the composer the Artist under which classical compositions are filed, e.g., all Bach in an Artist folder called Bach (rather than have it all strewn about in different folders corresponding to the performers) and have all the tracks from multiple-CD albums in one folder of that album's title (as opposed to in separate folders for each disc), etc. I've already done a lot of this work by hand, and was working on moving things from the Unknown Artist:Unknown Album folder, when I accidentally opened iTunes and it started the adding to iTunes process (which I'd now like to "undo," if possible). That was my slip up, but then I noticed that all the work I'd done to "re-position" files into the Artist and Album folders of my choosing wasn't being respected: in the iTunes Media:Music folder, folders that I had deleted had been re-created and files that I had put elsewhere were put back in the old folder structure, which obviously I don't like, or I wouldn't be going to so much trouble to change it. So, is there a way to accomplish my goal, i.e., customize the Artist and Album folder names and contents, preferably prior to everything being imported into iTunes, in a way that iTunes will respect and preserve? Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 12:56 AM

21 replies

Feb 4, 2016 5:28 AM in response to OlyDLG

You should not do it that way. Instead, you should take your complete iTunes folder (not just your iTunes Media folder) on the Windows PC, and put it on the MacBook Air to replace its existing iTunes folder. iTunes on the new MacBook will then look like iTunes on the old Windows PC, with all songs and supporting data, such as playlists, ratings, play count, date added, etc. The existing "metadata" will be the same as before, and you can continue to work on better organizing your songs within iTunes.

If you do it like you describe, your NEW iTunes library on the MacBook will be more disorganized, and you won't have your playlists (all the songs will be considered new songs in a new library). That new iTunes library will not know anything about the old iTunes library. iTunes does not care about the existing folder structure when importing songs (that iTunes considers to be new songs) into a a new iTunes library. Using default settings, iTunes keeps the iTunes Media folder organized, based on what you see in the iTunes window music library list for song Name (plus Track #), Album name, and Artist name.

The procedure to transfer your complete iTunes folder is described in this document

Back up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive - Apple Support

To summarize, the first step "consolidates" your iTunes media files (from wherever they are currently stored on your computer's drive), into the designated iTunes Media folder (in your iTunes folder). All of your media files may already be store there. The second step copies ("backs up") that complete iTunes folder (which includes your all-important iTunes library database file), to an external drive. The third step "restores" that backed up iTunes folder, in your case, to the new MacBook. With iTunes not running, you are replacing the MacBook's existing iTunes folder with the one from the old Windows PC. When you run iTunes, it uses that iTunes folder; you see the same iTunes library.

Feb 4, 2016 1:21 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi, Kenichi, and thanks for your reply. Sorry for the f-ed up formatting: I initially couldn't figure out how to slice up your reply to intersperse my reply, and then when I did, and it looked OK in the editor, after hitting save, it looks like trash, but I've already spent way too much time on this. If you're listening Apple, very disappointed!

Kenichi Watanabe wrote:

You should not do it that way. Instead, you should take your complete iTunes folder (not just your iTunes Media folder) on the

Windows PC, and put it on the MacBook Air to replace its existing iTunes folder. iTunes on the new MacBook will then look like iTunes

on the old Windows PC, with all songs and supporting data, such as playlists, ratings, play count, date added, etc. The existing

"metadata" will be the same as before, and you can continue to work on better organizing your songs within iTunes.

But this is what I wanted to avoid: I don't like the way it "looks" in my old iTunes library, and it was too difficult (i.e., tedious and time-consuming) to make the changes I want to make inside iTunes. Are you telling me there's no other way?

If you do it like you describe, your NEW iTunes library on the MacBook will be more disorganized,

That's not what I was observing; rather, what I was observing was that it was just as "disorganized" as it was in the old iTunes--it was restoring everything back to the way it had been, but not making it worse.

and you won't have your playlists (all the songs will be considered new songs in a new library). That new iTunes library will not know

anything about the old iTunes library.

Not a big problem for me--I don't have many playlists, and as I said, I don't care for the organization of the old iTunes library, so I have no interest in preserving that organization.

iTunes does not care about the existing folder structure when importing songs (that iTunes considers to be new songs) into a a new

iTunes library. Using default settings, iTunes keeps the

The procedure to transfer your complete iTunes folder is described in this document

Back up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive - Apple Support

To summarize, the first step "consolidates" your iTunes media files (from wherever they are currently stored on your computer's drive), into the designated iTunes Media folder (in your iTunes folder). All of your media files may already be store there. The second step copies ("backs up") that complete iTunes folder (which includes your all-important iTunes library database file), to an external drive. The third step "restores" that backed up iTunes folder, in your case, to the new MacBook. With iTunes not running, you are replacing the MacBook's existing iTunes folder with the one from the old Windows PC. When you run iTunes, it uses that iTunes folder; you see the same iTunes library.

So, is there some way to use the above technique to, effectively, "pre-set" my artist and album folders the way I want them? (Again, I found trying to do this within iTunes to be prohibitively difficult, although, I will acknowledge that it's been a while since I tried...has iTunes "liberalized" the organization it allows, and allowed for the changing of the whereabouts of many tracks at once?)

Thanks again!

Feb 4, 2016 3:12 PM in response to OlyDLG

Can explain in more detail why iTunes is "tedious and time-consuming" for what you want to do? What do you want to do in iTunes?

So, is there some way to use the above technique to, effectively, "pre-set" my artist and album folders the way I want them?

If you add all of you songs into a new iTunes library, it will be a fresh start. Nothing will be "pre-set."

Again, I found trying to do this within iTunes to be prohibitively difficult

If you can explain what you are trying to accomplish in iTunes, you may get some tips from the folks here how to make it easier. I find iTunes to be extremely proficient at organization, especially with the use of smart playlists.

Feb 4, 2016 3:32 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I'm trying to re-define the artists associated with various albums (e.g., make the composer be the artist, not the performer, e.g., Bach instead of Glenn Gould, and substitute single names for well-known artists, e.g., Miles for Miles Davis and Dylan for Bob Dylan, and remove preceding The's, e.g., Beatles instead of The Beatles, Kinks instead of The Kinks) etc., and the tracks associated with various albums (e.g., all of the tracks from the two disc Beatles' "White Album" with a single album of that title, as opposed to different albums, White Album [Disc 1] and White Album [Disc 2], and only excerpts from certain albums with that album, e.g., only some of the tracks on the Beavis and Butthead soundtrack) etc. In the past when I tried to do these things, inside iTunes, to multiple "albums" at once, or multiple tracks at once, iTunes wouldn't let me, it would only let me change the artist and/or album of single tracks one at a time! Given the number of tracks I want to do this to, this would take years!

Does that help? Thanks again.

Feb 4, 2016 4:47 PM in response to OlyDLG

You can do this fairly easily, using a combination of sorting, playlists, smart playlists, and the multi-item Info window. I'll describe a few examples of how, using your examples of what...

make the composer be the artist, not the performer, e.g., Bach instead of Glenn Gould

Create a new playlist to use for manipulation of song information. For your example, add all songs that you want to have Artist = Bach to this playlist. If there is a simple rule, such as Composer = Bach for these songs currently, you can also create a smart playlist. To create playlists and smart playlists, click the Plus sign at the bottom of the Playlists sidebar in iTunes.

For this smart playlist, set it to Match all of the following rules:

Media Kind - is - Music

Composer - contains - Bach

This smart playlist shows all songs where the Composer field has the word Bach. You can also have a regular playlist for the songs that do not have an entry for Composer, that you populate manually with all other songs that you consider to be Bach. These two playlists combined now have all songs that are Bach. In each playlist, set it to use the Songs view, to show a plain list with columns. The view control is at the right end of the horizontal bar (set it to Songs). Show the useful columns for this purpose, such as the Composer column. Right-click the heading row of song list to show/hide columns. You can move the columns left or right by dragging column from its heading, and adjust the width for each column.

In each playlist, click on any song (so that you are IN the playlist) and do a Select All (Cmd-A on keyboard OR Edit -> Select All from menu bar). Right-click on the selection and Get Info. This shows the multi-item Info window for your selection. Change the Artist entry to Bach.

The above procedure is useful for a large number of songs that fit a particular criteria. You can Edit Smart Playlist to change the rules of that smart playlist to gather other large groups of songs automatically, and quickly manipulate them all at the same time. You can use that regular playlist again, and manually populate it with a new set of songs that have something in common (to change their song info at the same time).

For smaller groupings of songs, such as a particular artist or an album, you can make the changes directly in the music library song list (set to show the Songs view with appropriate columns visible like with the playlists). For example, sort the song list by the Artist column. For each Artist, such as "Bob Dylan," select all of the songs at the same time. With all Bob Dylan songs selected, right-click selection and Get Info. In the multi-item Info window, change the Artist entry from Bob Dylan to just Dylan. Repeat for other artists as desired. You can do the same thing with Album names, by sorting the song list using the Album column.

Some tips for manipulating the song list:

To select songs that are together on the list at the same time, click the first some song, hold down Shift key, and click last song. The two clicked songs and all songs in between are selected at once. For example, do this to select all songs on an album (or all songs by an artist) at the same time.

To select songs that are not together on the list, hold down the Option and Command keys, and click the songs you want to select. All clicked songs remain selected. To unselect a song, while holding down Option and Command keys, click a selected song.

You can do these actions in combination. For example, you can select all songs by an artist that are together on the song list, then select other songs separately, and then unselect some songs. This makes it easy to do complex multi-item Info window changes.

To sort the list of songs, click on the heading for the column you want to sort by. Click it again, to reverse the order. Some columns, like the Album column have several sort other sorting option.

Use a playlist and/or smart playlist if the number of songs to be manipulated is large, so that they stay together while completing the manipulations (instead of being "lost" in your library song list after making a change).

If you want to preserve information that you are changing, you can add it to the Description field.

Feb 4, 2016 5:11 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

OK, I'll try this. One (for now) compound follow-up Q: with respect to "to preserve information that you are changing, you can add it to the Description field," is that field available in "Group Info"? Does that actually change the names of folders, or just the values of the fields in the database? (One of the reasons why I want the actual names of the folders changed is so that I can grab everything by Bach, e.g., simply by grabbing the "Bach" folder in the Finder. I suppose I'd find this out if I just did it, but I'm not sure I want to bother doing it if it's not going to have exactly the result I want.)

Feb 4, 2016 5:32 PM in response to OlyDLG

Open iTunes preferences Advanced Pane. There is a checkbox there for Keep iTunes Media folder organized. If that checkbox is checked, iTunes keeps the designated iTunes Media folder organized into sub-folders automatically, by media type (Music in this case), then by Artist name, then by Album name, as shown in the music library in iTunes window. The song file names are Track # plus song Name, as shown in iTunes. If you make a relevant change in iTunes, the iTunes Media folder gets updated.

There is another checkbox there for Add files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library. You should keep that checkbox checked too.

I made a mistake. Instead of the Description field, use the Comment field. Description is a field more commonly used for things like TV shows and movies, not for songs. The Comment field can be shown in a song list (as a column), AND in the Info window.

Feb 4, 2016 6:50 PM in response to OlyDLG

If you make "your choices" in the iTunes window, iTunes behavior and your choices will be the same. You can't have it both ways. Either you want to manually change the folder names, OR you let iTunes take care of maintaining the folder names (and file names) based on how you manually change the relevant song info in iTunes. Also, songs purchased from iTunes Store and imported from CD are stored in the iTunes Media folder using the "default behavior," whether that checkbox is checked or not. You should just let iTunes do it consistently, and consider the iTunes window to be your "file manager for songs" with respect to entries in the fields for song Name, Track #, Artist, and Album. The iTunes Media folder will be organized and updated accordingly.

Perhaps your difficulty with iTunes comes from "fighting" iTunes, instead of letting iTunes work for you... 🙂

Feb 4, 2016 6:47 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

"Perhaps your difficulty with iTunes comes from "fighting" iTunes, instead of letting iTunes work for you..."

I don't doubt it; unfortunately, in the past, the Help for advanced activities in iTunes hasn't been very helpful, so I've been left to try to do things in the way that makes sense to me (and what makes sense to me is to NOT have two different "Finders," or if you must, at least have the program-specific Finder subordinate to the master, system-Finder). OK, I'll see if I can make things work the way I want them in iTunes, and if I have problems, I'll post here.

Thanks again for your help.

Feb 4, 2016 7:38 PM in response to OlyDLG

Finder is just a file manager. iTunes is a general media manager and player, and it does much more than maintain the storage of its media files. Only four fields are used to maintain the default storage location of media files (item Name, Track #, Artist, and Album), plus Media Kind to tell iTunes the item is Music (or Movie, TV Show, Podcast, Audiobook, etc.). You have to maintain that song info in iTunes anyways (plus all of the other song info not used to maintain file storage organization); iTunes provides the service of organizing and maintaining the media files "for free." It's not like you have to do it in Finder AND then do it again in iTunes. Just do it in iTunes.

And this isn't really "advanced activities in iTunes." It's the way iTunes works, by default. 🙂 Most iTunes users probably don't even look at what's inside the iTunes Media folder using Finder (they only see the iTunes window).

Feb 5, 2016 5:55 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

OK, after renaming the extant iTunes folder on my Mac to _iTunes, I replaced it, via copy, with the iTunes folder from my Windows drive. I opened up iTunes and it looks "familiar," except that iTunes indicates, with those circled exclamation points, that it doesn't know where the files are for approximately 1000+ songs (sorting the songs by Artist, I counted 555 up through Je before I decided to extrapolate). I looked for some such files and found them precisely where I'd expect to find them in the correct iTunes Media:Music:<Artist>:<Album> folder, so not only is the problem NOT because the files didn't get copied, but also iTunes is failing to find them despite them being where they should be. Is there a way to "Locate" multiple missing files at once? Any other suggestions re: how to fix this problem inside iTunes?

Also: many of the broken associations are for songs for which I want to do the things described earlier in this thread: do I have to wait 'til the associations are fixed, i.e., until all the circled exclamation points are gone, before I start changing songs' artist and album names en masse?

Feb 5, 2016 6:22 PM in response to OlyDLG

Did you do the "consolidate library" step on the old computer, before copying off the iTunes folder? Since you may not have been using default iTunes settings on the older computer, it's possible the song files were located outside of the iTunes folder (for the song files iTunes cannot currently locate) on the old computer.

For one of the songs with an exclamation point, do a right-click Get Info; in the Info window, go to the File tab. The entry there for Location is where iTunes expects to find that song's file. Is the song's file actually at that location?

If you can see the song's file using Finder, in iTunes try to play that song with exclamation point. iTunes should prompt you to locate the song's file; locate the song's file for iTunes. After iTunes finds that song's file, it may be able to extrapolate where the other "missing" song files are located, based on finding one of them. If some more songs are automatically found, but not all, repeat finding the song file for iTunes with a song that still has an exclamation point.

Feb 5, 2016 7:17 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi Watanabe wrote:

Did you do the "consolidate library" step on the old computer, before copying off the iTunes folder?

NO, THE DRIVE IS NO LONGER IN THE COMPUTER, WHICH IN TURN IS NO LONGER AROUND: ANYTHING I WANT TO DO TO THE DRIVE, I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO DO IT THROUGH THE MAC.

Since you may not have been using default iTunes settings on the older computer, it's possible the song files were located outside of the iTunes folder (for the song files iTunes cannot currently locate) on the old computer.

IF THEY WERE OUTSIDE THE ITUNES FOLDER ON THE OLD DRIVE, HOW DID THEY END UP IN THE ITUNES FOLDER IN ITS VERBATIM COPY ON THE NEW DRIVE?

For one of the songs with an exclamation point, do a right-click Get Info; in the Info window, go to the File tab. The entry there for Location is where iTunes expects to find that song's file. Is the song's file actually at that location?

PROGRESS: NO, THE EXPECTED PATH FOR A PROBLEMATIC SONG IS iTunes/iTunes Media/<ARTIST>, BUT THE FILE IS ACTUALLY IN iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/<ARTIST>--DOES THIS SUGGEST A BETTER STRATEGY FOR A FIX? FOR EXAMPLE, I COULD DRAG THE PROBLEMATIC <ARTIST> FOLDERS UP INTO THE iTunes Media FOLDER, WHICH I PRESUME WOULD ENABLE ITUNES TO FIND THE FILES; IF I THEN REDEFINE THE ARTIST IN ITUNES, WOULD THAT MOVE ALL THE FILES BACK INTO THE RIGHT PLACE, WHILE ALSO PROPERLY UPDATING THE PLACE THAT THEY SHOULD BE LOOKED FOR?

If you can see the song's file using Finder, in iTunes try to play that song with exclamation point. iTunes should prompt you to locate the song's file; locate the song's file for iTunes. After iTunes finds that song's file, it may be able to extrapolate where the other "missing" song files are located, based on finding one of them. If some more songs are automatically found, but not all, repeat finding the song file for iTunes with a song that still has an exclamation point.

AT THIS POINT, THIS SOUNDS LIKE A "PLAN B"

THANKS!

Way for iTunes to respect my custom Artist/Album assignments?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.