Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get rid of the inverted commas?

Hi!

Whenever I write something in Pages (and it doesn't matter if it's a formerly docx file or a new pages file) I have inverted commas everywhere (see screenshot below). Why? I can't get rid of these or I don't know how.

Thanks for your help!

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 1:36 AM

Hello Natishka,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

It appears that you are getting extra characters being entered in your documents. Since you are getting them when you create a new Pages document, I would suggest that you next create a new user account on your Mac and try it there. The following article describes this testing process - - How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

You can also try testing the issue in safe mode. Here is an article describing that - Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up.

Come back and let us know if the same thing is occurring in the new user and/or in safe mode. This will let us know where we need to go next to resolve this.

Best regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 1:36 AM in response to Natishka

Hello Natishka,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

It appears that you are getting extra characters being entered in your documents. Since you are getting them when you create a new Pages document, I would suggest that you next create a new user account on your Mac and try it there. The following article describes this testing process - - How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

You can also try testing the issue in safe mode. Here is an article describing that - Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up.

Come back and let us know if the same thing is occurring in the new user and/or in safe mode. This will let us know where we need to go next to resolve this.

Best regards.

Feb 9, 2016 10:52 AM in response to Natishka

Hello Natishka,

Thanks for your response. With the issue not happening in a new user, we know there is something going on in your original user. Removing and reinstalling Pages was a good try, but that doesn't necessarily do anything with the caches or preferences and that is where I suspect the issue may be.

I would like you to do the following to check those preferences and caches.

1. Start by going to the Finder's Go menu and selecting Go to Folder.
  2. In the resulting dialog type ~/Library/Caches (it may be easier to copy and paste from this page.)
  3. Look for any file starting with com.apple.iWork.Pages. If you find any, move them to your Desktop.
  4. Next go to the following folder ~/Library/Preferences and look for any files starting with com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist. Move that file to your Desktop.
  5. Now log out of your user account and log back in again.

Test to see if the issue is still present.

Cheers.

How can I get rid of the inverted commas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.