Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App Store confuse with partitions/external disks

I have a MacMini with 2 HD.

One with El Capitan and one with Mavericks.

When i installed El Capitan i realized Mac App Store by default update all the applications even those in Mavericks Partition.

So i unmounted the Mavericks Partition (and changed the preferences) and

I re-download an application from the Mac App Store from my ElCapitan Boot.

Once downloaded it was not on the folder Applications.

But in a folder (Volumes) with the name of an external disk. (not plugged during the installation) I found it, by launching the app via LaunchPad and Show in the Finder via the Menu in the Dock.

This Application was on this backup external disk, it's true. and the disk has be plugged at a moment or another. But it was not plugged during this installation.

I can see this fake Volume in Terminal but not with DiskUtility.

If i Plug the disk, i have in /Volumes : ExternalDiskName and ExternalDiskName2 !!!

How can i suppress this fake (ghost) Volume !

And why Mac App Store is looking everywhere and not only on the system partition. It's a mess !

Thanks !

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 6:48 AM

4 replies

Mac App Store confuse with partitions/external disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.