Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro can't read SD cards anymore

Hi,

I need some help regarding a strong problem with my Mac Pro, that can't read SD cards anymore. Sticking any reader in any USB slot, a SD card isn't recognized anymore. Strange also when I put a CF card in the same reader, it works and I can see the CF card on my desk.

Anyone an answer?

(Mac Pro 3,1, latest version El Capitan, several readers used, same problem)

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 7:42 AM

7 replies

Feb 4, 2016 8:14 AM in response to lllaass

Hi IIIaas,

Thx for your reply.

By recognize I mean in any way, finder, Disk Utility, System Profiler and maintenance software.

Several readers I tried have the same problem. The one I tried just now, doesn't work with a SD stuck in, and the SD card removed and sticking in a CF card I get instant response and can recognize the card in finder/disk U/SystemP etc. (Photo's is jumping in also)

The SD cards are also good, I have to use my laptop to import pictures and transport them by usb stick or Dropbox to my Mac Pro to proces them further..

I stand for a complete mistery

Feb 4, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Sier

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- Also see if you can see a SD card in Disk Utility.

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

- If you do not have a backup use disk utility to restore the internal disk to an external disk so you can try to recover data.

Then format the startup disk and do a fresh install of OSX

Feb 5, 2016 1:39 AM in response to lllaass

I certainly gonna try this. I only used the SD slot on the Macbook to import pictures but failed to try the option of checking the readers (four of them) on the USB port of the Macbook. I thought that a collective failure of several readers is not possible however it could be possible that the reader itself is outdated trough the Mac OSX updates...

I keep you updated!

Mac Pro can't read SD cards anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.