Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod nano 6th gen accidental reformat using windows

i gave my ipod nano 6th gen to my brother, he doesnt like the songs so he reformatted it on his laptop. he press the quick format, and after that the ipod nano malfunctioned. we cant sync anything and everytime we connect it to his laptop, it always appear that it is in recovery mode and it needs to be restored. and everytime we disconnect it, its restarting.we cant use his laptop to restore it.anyone who can help us to fix it? or where can we bring it to be fix? thank you. sorry for the grammar..

iPod nano

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 8:55 AM

1 reply

Feb 5, 2016 5:10 AM in response to Mr.number03

The iPod did not "malfunction." It does not have any onboard software, because it was completely erased.

Sounds like this is on Windows (not a Mac)... Try formatting it again, using Windows. iTunes should not be running. If you have the option, use FAT32 as the format (which is how iPod's are formatted for Windows). If that's not an option, ExFAT is probably the next best choice (do not use NTFS). Select to do a Full Format. After formatting completes, run iTunes. Whether you are prompted or not, you must do a Restore on the iPod, because it currently has no onboard software. The Restore reinstalls the software and sets it up to be an iPod again. If it works, going forward, use iTunes to do a Restore, if he wants to erase the iPod again.

ipod nano 6th gen accidental reformat using windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.