Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to archive Final Cut Pro x media on a NAS?

Hello,

I have a FCPX library located on my internal SSD that takes too much place. Because I'm a pack rat, I'd like to archive all completed projects and media I have in that library to a NAS (Synology) where I have enough space.

I know FCPX do not support NAS drives, but because the files are located in the same library file, I do not see any way to split the library int parts with only what I want On my SSD and on the NAS. I search on the forum and Google, but could not find any satisfying answer.

Anyone can give me a few hints?

thanks

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 12:12 PM

IN library properties in the inspector click modify settings and assign a new location on your system for the media. Create an empty folder for it. Use the consolidate media function to move the media into the folder and replace it in the library with symlinks. You can then make projects and libraries how you like to archive the media. I'd really recommend getting some other drives to store everything.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 12:12 PM in response to Steve-Mac-

IN library properties in the inspector click modify settings and assign a new location on your system for the media. Create an empty folder for it. Use the consolidate media function to move the media into the folder and replace it in the library with symlinks. You can then make projects and libraries how you like to archive the media. I'd really recommend getting some other drives to store everything.

Feb 4, 2016 6:46 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

I found library properties previously when investigating (I probably missed the consolidate function), but did not want to "toy" with it too much risking breaking something.

That said, it will do it for the whole library, not only on a per event or project. Is that right?

Strangely, when I do this, I can select a directory on my NAS and FCP does not complain that the volume is not supported...

Edit: That said, I'm effectively looking at more space to work with. I'm hesitant between getting an external Thunderbolt device, or upgrading my internal SSD with this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDA12K960/

How to archive Final Cut Pro x media on a NAS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.