Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina 2015 buzzing

Couldn't find a post addressing this issue specifically.

Just bought a macbook Pro Retina 13" Jan 2016, OSX 10.11.3 After about a week of use I noticed a slight buzzing/crackling noise coming from the lop left of the keyboard. Sounds almost like an overtaxed CPU. And it almost always seems to happen in gmail opened up in Chrome. When I'm composing an email and typing in the email address, it'll just freeze for about 30 seconds....and make that noise. It'll sometimes crash chrome and freeze other apps I have running like Spotify.

I brought it in, and they opened it up and said curiously the fan wasn't responding...so they swapped it out for a new one. Awesome. Except now the new one is doing it after a week again. Exact same symptom, under the exact same circumstances. Any ideas why it might be happening?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 10:37 AM

5 replies

Feb 4, 2016 10:42 AM in response to mpe916

If it is only a week old, return the dang thing and get a new one. No reason to have them "repair" a brand new device if you can just return it and purchase a new one. They always want to repair things instead of giving you a new device but if it's still within the return window, it will save you future headaches to just get a new device.

As a side note, Chrome is one of the most power sucking, CPU wasting applications out there. So I am not surprised that this happens in Chrome. Obviously it shouldn't happen, but know that Chrome uses a lot more memory than Safari or other browsers.

Feb 4, 2016 10:48 AM in response to my ginger

Should have clarified. They swapped it out for a NEW laptop...not a new fan. So I'm on my second laptop...both exhibiting the exact same issue. Called in on the first one...they had me do all the resets, and boot it into safe mode to see if it would fix the issue. Nope. So they said bring it in. And they replaced it. All was good, but after a week, the new one does it too.

Feb 5, 2016 7:45 PM in response to mpe916

Well I did take it in. They were able to replicate it. Said when they ran in back, they couldn't get the fan to turn on...AT ALL. Then they logged out my user account, and the fans would work. They believe it was some sort of data corruption in my user account info that was somehow causing the fans to not turn on. But when I explained all I had done since buying it was hook up an external hard drive to transfer only photos...they looked a little stumped. So they did a clean install of the OS and gave it back to me. Still confused why it's happening, but seems they are too.

Macbook Pro Retina 2015 buzzing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.