Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making downloading easy for listeners

I want to make consuming my show easy for my listeners, most of whom are not tech savvy in any way.I have listeners who don't know how to have multiple tabs open in a browser. That's how unsophisticated they are.

My hosting provider, Libsyn, provides a specific "downloadable link" for each episode. Am I right with thinking that it really doesn't matter whether the listener downloads the episode on iTunes or on the show's website, it still counts as a download.

I know I shouldn't obsess about those things but I do :-)

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 10:53 AM

2 replies

Feb 4, 2016 12:26 PM in response to winniefromlinwood

Winnie,

If someone clicks a link to listen, it doesn't seem like Apple would be aware of the click:

www.libsyn.com/winnie_from_linwood/episode_1.mp3

But if you directed them to your specific URL in iTunes, it would make sense that Apple is aware of it:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/quick-reaction-iowa-results/id1077418457?i=3 61783227&mt=2

(to get the above link, visit your Podcast in iTunes, click the arrow to the right of "Get" and choose Copy Link.)

Both links download the file from your website, but I assume Apple would only know about one.

-Fan

Feb 4, 2016 12:55 PM in response to winniefromlinwood

You've already asked this once: please don't double post.

Apple does not track downloads of your episodes. When they are subscribed to in iTunes the contact is directly to your server from your computer and Apple is not involved in any way; playing an episode in the Store does go through Apple's server but they do not track the usage. The only way to track downloads is actually on your server. I don't know whether Libsyn provide this facility. Note that only downloads of episodes are worth counting: downloads of the feed are meaningless since subscribers' iTunes application checks periodically.

Making downloading easy for listeners

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.