Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac using lots of data or maybe verizon scam?

i have a iMac a few years old never had a problem with data usage until i switched to verizon sorry so long in advance

first i have a broadband router from verizon with 28 gigs of data available per month

7 days after starting the service (dec 15) received an alert that i had used 50% of my allowed data i called and they confirmed that maybe my computer had updated and used the data i turned the computer off and went out of town the next day no devices hooked to the wifi and the computer turned off i used another 10 gigs of data while out of town.

i returned on jan 2 on jan 7 i get another email that i had used 50% of my data i called and was told in so many words sorry about your luck i at that time unplugged and put the router back in the box on jan 8 i went out of town. on jan 10 while still out of town i get 4 emails 2 min apart 1. you have used 70% of your data 2. you have used 80% of your data 3. you have used 90% of your data 4. you have went over your slotted monthly allowance yes all while my router is not even hooked up or not even power to it .

i called and told them to cancel my service on jan 13

today i plugged in router just to see if they had cancelled my service of corse they had not so i imideately unplugged the router and called them. the guy tells me that in the last week i have used 2 gigs of data remember it was completely turned of and had no power to it

my question is is there something i can put on my computer to monitor data and also what could be pulling data either on my mac or other?

Final Cut Pro X, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 11:01 AM

19 replies

Feb 4, 2016 6:36 PM in response to Pelfrey8

From what I understand which is minimal, it is possible to spoof a Public IP number and or MAC address. If your router was in a box it's impossible for you to be using any data. But if someone is spoofing your Public IP it would still look like you were connected and using data. Verizon tech support can tell if your computer is on and connected along with the router. Maybe call them when your router is off and disconnected and see if they think you are connected and using data. If they do someone is using your Public IP.

You could also ask them to replace the router which would give you a new Public IP number.

Very strange.

Feb 5, 2016 5:57 AM in response to Pelfrey8

Pelfrey8 wrote:

i don't have any idea of data usage before as we had 4 kids and 2 adults using wifi and watched netflix and hulu everyday

and no no wifi devices attached just my computer

What I'm trying to understand is why you think you're using less data than you're being charged for. If you have no basis for comparison, it's going to be very hard to determine. 28 gigs really isn't very much.

Feb 5, 2016 7:37 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair

What I'm trying to understand is why you think you're using less data than you're being charged for. If you have no basis for comparison, it's going to be very hard to determine. 28 gigs really isn't very much.

Hi Meg, assuming the user is not making anything up, I don't think the biggest issue is how many Gigs he used. But rather how he was using any when his computer wasn't on or his router wasn't even connected.

Feb 5, 2016 9:00 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

Meg St._Clair

Hi Meg, assuming the user is not making anything up, I don't think the biggest issue is how many Gigs he used. But rather how he was using any when his computer wasn't on or his router wasn't even connected.

I'm absolutely not suggesting that the user is making anything up at all. However, the emails might not be generated in real time. Just because the emails are coming at a time that the router is turned off doesn't necessarily mean that that's when the data is getting used. I don't know. I don't have a metered home connection.

Imac using lots of data or maybe verizon scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.