Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where to find osx installer

I'm trying to make a bootable installer for recovering / repairing my mac mini server. It has no optical drive, and i need to repair the disks with disk utility.

The instructions on creating such a bootable usb installer are useless, because there is no osx installer in the app store like the support article

HT201372: Create a bootable installer for OS X

suggests....

Where can I find this installer?

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 12:12 PM

3 replies

Feb 4, 2016 12:33 PM in response to Holzum

You go to either the Mac App Store if you did not previously "purchase" the OSX version or to the Purchases section of the mac App Store and redownload the installer.

One downloaded it is in your Applications Folder under the name: Install OS (name of version, e.g., Yosemite).

If you downloaded it and then installed the installer gets deleted as part of the install

Apr 19, 2016 9:03 AM in response to Holzum

Just go to the App store and search for El Caption and try to instal. Once the window pops up that says you already have it installed click continue to instal it in the App folder. Make sure it is completely installed and you have more than 6G on your USB drive. Rename the USB thumb drive to MyVolume and follow the instructions on the Apple page.

where to find osx installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.