Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetRestore Error: OS X could not be restored to your computer

Good Afternoon!

I am having issues installing NetRestore images to MacBooks and MacBook Airs. The error I get is "OS X could not be restored to your computer." I am able to image iMacs with no problems (I imaged a lab of 30 iMacs last week). I am able to use Carbon Copy Clone but I need to deploy the new image to almost 200 computers so I'd rather not have to do one machine at a time.

On the image machines I've tried the CoreStorage/HFS workaround in Terminal, I've tried erasing the system partition before running NetRestore, I've tried creating the system image using identically configured MacBook Airs and MacBooks (all running 10.11.3 (15D21)), and I've also tried using different cables and switches.

Server: Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 10.10.5 (14F1605)

System Image Utility Machine: MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2014) 10.11.3 (15D21)

MacBook Air Image Machine: MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) 10.11.3 (15D21)

MacBook Image Machine: MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009) 10.11.3 (15D21)

MacBook Air Target Machine: MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) 10.8.5 (12F45)

MacBook Target Machine: MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) 10.11.0 (15A284)

MacBook Target Machine: MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009) 10.6.3 (10D578)

+ many more

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:21 AM

The information you are searching for is probably in the install log.

Before running the restore process, hit Cmd-L to bring up the log window and Cmd-3 to show all logs. After the process fails, there ought to be something in the log indicating why it failed.

1 reply

NetRestore Error: OS X could not be restored to your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.