Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wirelessly Extend a Network?

Hello,

I'm in no internet ****. I live in a cottage on a farm where the main house has high speed internet but the cottage I rent has no cable or phone lines to it. The landlord put in an extended network (Amped) but it doesn't work and they can't seem to manage it. I can get the main house signal in some parts of the cottage but it's low. I went to Apple and bought an Airport Extreme tower and the sales men there told me I would be able to connect to the network wirelessly and then extend the network. I tried hooking it up, but was having issues, so I called Apple Support and the nice lady said I could not use the Airport Extreme to extend the network if it wasn't plugged into the internet providers modem. I do not want to plug my apple product into their computer as A. I don't think they could figure out how to set it up and B. I'd not have access if it needed to be reset, etc. Before I return the product I'm hoping someone here knows if what i am trying to do is possible or if I am just wasting my time. The main house is about 75ft from the cottage. In my house I have an iMac, a Smart TV, a pc laptop and an iPhone I need to get internet connection to. Thank you for your time.

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 2:19 PM

I went to Apple and bought an Airport Extreme tower and the sales men there told me I would be able to connect to the network wirelessly and then extend the network

Unfortunately, the sales men did not tell you.....or more likely, they did not know.....that the AirPort Extreme can only wirelessly "extend" a network that is produced by another Apple router......since Apple uses proprietary settings for their "extend" feature.

In other words, you will need at least two Apple routers if you want to wirelessly "extend" the network.

If you don't want to buy another Apple router to set up in the main house, so the AirPort Extreme in the cottage can "extend" it, then take a look at a Netgear product.......since they claim to be able to "extend" or "repeat" virtually any network. Whether that is really true is something that no one can prove, but it might work well enough with the router in the main house.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2016 2:19 PM in response to NoInternetForMe

I went to Apple and bought an Airport Extreme tower and the sales men there told me I would be able to connect to the network wirelessly and then extend the network

Unfortunately, the sales men did not tell you.....or more likely, they did not know.....that the AirPort Extreme can only wirelessly "extend" a network that is produced by another Apple router......since Apple uses proprietary settings for their "extend" feature.

In other words, you will need at least two Apple routers if you want to wirelessly "extend" the network.

If you don't want to buy another Apple router to set up in the main house, so the AirPort Extreme in the cottage can "extend" it, then take a look at a Netgear product.......since they claim to be able to "extend" or "repeat" virtually any network. Whether that is really true is something that no one can prove, but it might work well enough with the router in the main house.

Feb 8, 2016 12:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Just thought i'd let you know I took your advice and purchased a Netgear Range Extender, the EX7000 model. It connected quick and easily to the Shaw router in the main house (I didn't even set it up near the router as the manual recommended and then move to your preferred location). I set it up right in the cottage and now i have full and fast wifi for all my devices. Thank you so much! A year and a half of spotty to no internet solved. :-)

Feb 8, 2016 2:59 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you BOB!! Like NoInternetForME, I'm in a quandary about how to wirelessly "extend" my Comcast Network (X1 CISCO DPC3939 Gateway) with a Time Capsule setup in "Bridge" mode, so the Cisco is acting like a modem/wireless router. (I'm learning the lingo so please bear with me.)

If I understand your explanation correctly, the only way to wirelessly extend my wifi using Airport Express (and I'm assuming the same logic prevails for Airport Extreme) is if my modem/wifi network was Apple. Is that correct?

Thank you very much for your response.

p.s. It would be so simple for Apple to include a note to that effect in their literature... :-)

Feb 8, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi - I have just connected the Netgear N300 extender using the Comcast Cisco Gateway as the wifi source. The setup was incredibly easy, and I'm not a heavy techie.

It basically creates an extended network and it adds "_EXT" to your existing name. I've got it located one level down and about 60 feet from the Cisco - the signal is very strong. (I wish I would have tried this before I tried in vane to use Airport Express as an extender.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2016 3:08 PM in response to bourne415

the only way to wirelessly extend my wifi using Airport Express (and I'm assuming the same logic prevails for Airport Extreme) is if my modem/wifi network was Apple. Is that correct?

Correct. Another way of saying the same thing is that if an Apple product is involved, and you want to wirelessly extend the network, you will need two Apple routers.

If you want to wirelessly extend a Cisco network, then your best bet would be another Cisco "repeater" or "extender".

Bottom line.....always try to use routers or products from the same manufacturer on your network, and things will be a lot easier.

"It basically creates an extended network and it adds "_EXT" to your existing name."

The problem here.....or it may not be a problem for you......is that devices will need to "switch" networks when they move from an area near the Cisco router to the area near the other router....and then 'switch" back again.

The whole idea here with an extended network is that devices can move from one area to another and automatically stay on the same network while picking up the signal from the closest router.

Wirelessly Extend a Network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.