Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleWorks for OS8?

I have ClarisWorks 5 running in OS 8.6 within SheepShaver - it runs fine and will convert documents created with earlier versions of ClarisWorks.

I am using this setup as a 'Classic Mac', and can now play games I'd given up for lost. 🙂 I've also copied across personal documents - however, some of these were created using AppleWorks 6, and that won't run in OS8 ("Cannot find CarbonLib"). CW5 just balks, saying "Document created by a later version and cannot be opened".

Is there any way around this, for example an earlier version of AW6 that WILL run in OS8 but WON'T refuse to open documents by a later incremental version of AW6?

iMac Core i5 12GB RAM-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 2:31 PM

19 replies

Feb 5, 2016 2:58 AM in response to a brody

Hi

No, that's not really what I was looking for. I can open said documents using AppleWorks in 10.6.8 (or Libre Office if I was running a newer OS) - it just would have been nice to open them in SheepShaver OS8.

If the answer to my question is "no" (IS IT?????) then I can always set up another SheepShaver folder running 9.0.4, which I'm sure there must be a version of AW6 for.

Feb 5, 2016 3:09 AM in response to christopher rigby1

Another answer is to be on the lookout for a vintage mac that runs the MacOS

native and thus could easily handle the older applications games, etc directly.

Something with pre Tiger 10.4.11 and Classic or boot before OS 9.2.2, or so G4.

A few towers and some less intense desktops, even a few portables may be OK.

Sorry the options appear to have diminished.

Can't say as there are easy remedies...

Good luck in any event...! 😐

Feb 5, 2016 2:15 PM in response to christopher rigby1

The document translator I have goes back to Clarisworks 1. So I can take something that was in Appleworks, and make it available for any format you have in Mac OS 8* http://www.macmaps.com/DataTranslators.pdf

You can try http://www.zamzar.com/ although I don't know if that will work. But I still have a functional copy of Dataviz Maclinkplus which is no longer sold.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Feb 6, 2016 10:58 AM in response to christopher rigby1

Appleworks 6 is a PowerPC app, not a legacy Classic App that would run in Sheepshaver:

Appleworks 6.2.9 running in Snow Leopard Server installed in Parallels for use in OS X Lion -- El Capitan:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

More information here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/installing-snow-leopard-and-rosetta-into-par allels-7-in-lion.1365439/

Also, since your description says you are running Snow Leopard on your 2010 or 2011 iMac already, Appleworks 6 should install and run on it so long as Rosetta is installed (be sure to upgrade to version 6.2.9).

Feb 6, 2016 11:09 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Hey Michael, the Apple Support Communities search engine is failing, and it looked like you hadn't posted since 2012. If you have done your Parallels Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server in Yosemite or El Capitan, I'm sure the person running this thread would be interested in hearing about it:

option command does not bring up Yosemite upon restart while in Snow Leopard mode

Feb 7, 2016 1:51 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Hi Michael

Not sure you read this topic through? Yes, I do have AW6 in 10.6.8 and that's fine for all my AW and CW documents.

It's just that I recently started using SheepShaver, at first, just to play a few old games. Then I thought it would be nice/fun to see some old documents as they were originally formatted in CW5 (AW6 changes the formatting sometimes). That was cool for all CW documents, but occasionally I would try to open a document created in AW6 and CW5 couldn't open it.

However, since adding the DataViz folder - from a 9.2.2 System Folder backup - to System Folder:Claris in SheepShaver, suddenly CW5 CAN open AW6 documents! However, it now "thinks" it's AW6 and therefore converts its own documents to CW5 format!! (Weird or what?)

Feb 7, 2016 10:34 AM in response to christopher rigby1

christopher rigby1 wrote:

Hi Michael

Not sure you read this topic through? Yes, I do have AW6 in 10.6.8 and that's fine for all my AW and CW documents.

Yes, I did read this topic through and I do not recall you ever mentioning that you currently run AW6 in Snow Leopard. I only responded to your comments about attempting to run AW6 in SheepShaver, which is will not do and then providing some additional information for those who need to run AW6 on modern day Macs.

Feb 8, 2016 1:36 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

MlchaelLAX wrote:

christopher rigby1 wrote:

Hi Michael

Yes, I did read this topic through and I do not recall you ever mentioning that you currently run AW6 in Snow Leopard. I only responded to your comments about attempting to run AW6 in SheepShaver, which is will not do and then providing some additional information for those who need to run AW6 on modern day Macs.

Yes, confusing, I know. I suppose I was referring to my post above where I said :

"I've resolved it - if I really need to see a document in SheepShaver, I can open it in AW6 in 10.6.8 and save it as AW5 format, and CW5 will open it in 8.6."

AppleWorks for OS8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.