Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with check boxes

Hi everyone,

Im trying to work out the following but I'm going grey trying to sort it out!

I have a column of check boxes, When I check them they populate a number from another column. The problem is I can't add up the numbers populated as the unchecked boxes cause an error! Is there anyway to say "just add up th numbers that have a tick along side them and ignore the rest of the zero values"?

Help me please as its driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 4:24 PM

I am going to bump this because there are several Numbers experts here. In meantime, enter this in your Google search bar (just copy the line below and paste)

numbers checkbox 2015 site:discussions.apple.com

or

numbers checkbox 2014 site:discussions.apple.com

7 replies

Feb 4, 2016 4:46 PM in response to jonathonfromabertillery

I am not a moderator, even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I am a user like yourself.

Unless the Numbers experts (users) are on line, your post may not be answered immediately. I don't think dealing with Checkboxes in Numbers is common knowledge.

That is why I gave you some links to look at and which also forced your post towards the top again.

But you could respond within one of those links to a user such as Wayne Contello or Yellowbox. and guide them to this thread where your question is. They are also users like yourself. In the meantime, watch a Youtube or two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJggk5fVks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6C4aVTomk0

Feb 4, 2016 4:50 PM in response to Sparkleberry

whoops sorry! It was the bumped comment! Ironically I couldn't get the response on the Mac/office as it wouldn't let me view it so resorted to the phone. Seems a real lack of support material for number which I find really frustrating! Especially for new commers. Thanks for the info and sorry for the knee jerk reaction 🙂

Feb 4, 2016 6:01 PM in response to jonathonfromabertillery

HI Jonathon,

You wrote:

"I have a column of check boxes, When I check them they populate a number from another column. The problem is I can't add up the numbers populated as the unchecked boxes cause an error! Is there anyway to say "just add up the numbers that have a tick along side them and ignore the rest of the zero values"?"

There are a couple of ways to do this, both shown on the table below.

User uploaded file

The set of numbers in "another column" are in column B. The checkboxes determine which of these numbers are copied to column E. F2 contains the sum of the numbers in column F.

E2 and filled down: =IF(C,B,"")

Expanded, this says: IF the value in (this row of column) C is TRUE, then get the value in (this row of column) B, otherwise set the value of this cell to a null string.

'this cell' is the cell containing the formula on 'this row'. A null string is a text value with zero length (which appears 'empty' and which SUM will ignore/interpret as zero) .

F2 (not filled down): =SUM(E)

Sums the values in column E.

The second method does not require columns E and F. It uses only one formula in cell D2.

D2: =SUMIF(C,TRUE,B)

Expanded: SUM the values in column E that are on rows where the value in column C is "TRUE".

Checkbox cells contain one of two values: TRUE when they are checked; FALSE when they are not checked.

Regards,

Barry

PS to Sparkleberry

Bumping a message that has been in the thread for only one hour and four minutes is never necessary in this conference. Pretty much everyone who responds here signs on regularly and reviews all unsolved posts which he/she hasn't yet seen each time he/she signs on. No answer after an hour just means no one with an answer has yet visited.

Regards,

Barry

Help with check boxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.