Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo storage of originals

How can I delete photos off my iPad or iPhone without it deleting the originals on my iCloud?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 7:36 PM

If you are using iCloud Photo Library on both the iPad and iPhone any photo you delete from either device will also be deleted from iCloud and from the other device (and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library. The most that you can do to reduce the storage space required on the devices while continuing to use iCloud Photo Library is to go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and turn on Optimize Storage on each device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2016 7:36 PM in response to Alvinpest

If you are using iCloud Photo Library on both the iPad and iPhone any photo you delete from either device will also be deleted from iCloud and from the other device (and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library. The most that you can do to reduce the storage space required on the devices while continuing to use iCloud Photo Library is to go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and turn on Optimize Storage on each device.

iCloud photo storage of originals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.