Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my file so BIG??

Hello,

I recently made my first iMovie. It's about 13 minutes long, an art tutorial for youtube (not sure why that matters but...). When I finished the project and hit "share to youtube" for some reason it says the file is one whole gigabyte. That seem like a ridiculously large amount of space to me... is that at all normal? If it is very large, does anyone know why? Sorry, it's my first time using iMovie, so I have no clue how big a file should end up.

Thanks,

creativemily

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 9:43 AM

1 GB for 13 minutes is not overly large. Ten years ago when everyone was shooting in DV format, the rule of thumb was 1 hour = 13 GB. So, if you

were shooting in DV 13 minutes would be about 1.4 GB.

But there are many variables that determine file size: content, level of definition, format, etc. Nowdays we have a lot more formats and levels of definition. They are all different.

Movies use a lot of bytes. They are very complicated versus a simple photo.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 9:43 AM in response to creativemily

1 GB for 13 minutes is not overly large. Ten years ago when everyone was shooting in DV format, the rule of thumb was 1 hour = 13 GB. So, if you

were shooting in DV 13 minutes would be about 1.4 GB.

But there are many variables that determine file size: content, level of definition, format, etc. Nowdays we have a lot more formats and levels of definition. They are all different.

Movies use a lot of bytes. They are very complicated versus a simple photo.

Why is my file so BIG??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.