Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents from pc to iPad and back again?

Has anyone figured out a way to successfully get Word docs to the iPad Air, make changes and get back to pc for them to make further changes?

Would love to hear if you've used iCloud successfully or OneDrive as we've failed at both!

LOVE the iPad ... but not so fond of having to learn a new program (pages) and then having to email it back (instead uploading to iCloud).

This shouldn't be that hard, should it?

Any experiences will be MOST appreciated!

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 4:55 PM

Not sure what you are doing exactly, but both Pages and Word let you do this extremely easily.

Word for iOS will save directly to OneDrive, which can then be accessed by Office on a PC directly through the OneDrive folder in Windows or through the OneDrive website.

Pages for iOS saves to iCloud Drive from where you can download directly to a PC from icloud.com through your browser of choice.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2016 4:55 PM in response to Shawna888

Not sure what you are doing exactly, but both Pages and Word let you do this extremely easily.

Word for iOS will save directly to OneDrive, which can then be accessed by Office on a PC directly through the OneDrive folder in Windows or through the OneDrive website.

Pages for iOS saves to iCloud Drive from where you can download directly to a PC from icloud.com through your browser of choice.

Feb 5, 2016 11:08 AM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply - I've spent hours on this.
On Mac advice we took OneDrive off the PC (but can't get it off the iPad)
Everything is there on ICloud yet when you select a doc to open it opens in Pages. I can make changes (which auto store in iCloud, I believe) but the pc won't open Pages docs. On the iPad I can send (using box/arrow icon) which will allow convert to Word but must be sent as an email.

What am I doing wrong?

I have word on the IPad but it want to only open docs from OneDrive (which we went to some trouble to remove from the pc). With options for adding a Dropbox ... but not the ICloud that we have set up.

What would you recommend I do?

Feb 5, 2016 3:41 PM in response to Shawna888

The iPad does not have a file system like a Pc does. so you are limited to what apps can open directly within them.

Word on iPad can open files from iCloud Drive. If you tap on the "Open" option on the left side panel, and then tap on "... More" It should show iCloud Drive directly. You can tap on the Pages folder to get any files you have stored in Pages, however, you cannot Save to iCloud if the file was not opened from iCloud. If it was it will save back to where it was.

If you want to use Pages you can save the file to iCloud drive as a Word Document by tapping on the User uploaded file icon, and then on Send a Copy, select Word, and then choose "Send To" to save to iCloud Drive as a Word document.

Feb 7, 2016 1:03 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil, You've given me great hope!
My dream is to use Word and the iCloud.

I wiped the iPad in order to get rid of OneDrive (its the only open Word gives me to open any docs - iCloud is NOWHERE in sight.) and reinstalled Word, iCloud.

Starting over, I opened Word and it insisted I open Office 365 in order to access or create any docs. Did so and VOILA there is the OneDrive again.

Would you recommend that we go back and put OneDrive back on the PC (it took a heck of a lot of trouble for Barry to get it off - not sure he'll be excited) But we need this to WORK!

Many thanks for your kind tutelage

Shawna

Feb 8, 2016 8:56 AM in response to Shawna888

Where did you open Word from? On my iPad, I don't get anything relating to Office 365 at all when I open it.

I just get the File Viewer. From there you can tap on the "Open" folder, and then on the "... More" text, and you should get a small window with iCloud Drive showing.

User uploaded file

And then:

User uploaded file

You can open files from there into Word. Anything you save as a Word Document from Pages, can be opened in Word on iOS.

On your computer, you would need to go to iCloud.com, and download the same file from iCloud Drive.

Documents from pc to iPad and back again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.