Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM setup for iMac 5k Retina (Late 2015)

I currently have 16GB of RAM in my new iMac 5k (late 2015). I want to upgrade the RAM to 64GB but I don't have that budget for that right now. I'm finding that my budget allows me to just get two 16GB sticks of RAM.

If my system has four 4GB sticks of RAM in each of the four iMac RAM slots (for a total of 16GB), and I remove two of those and replace them with two, new 16GB RAM modules, will this result in reduced performance as opposed to having all of the RAM the same size?

Current setup:

4GB RAM

4GB RAM

4GB RAM

4GB RAM

Future setup:

16GB RAM

4GB RAM

16GB RAM

4GB RAM

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 9.2.1, 4GHZ

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 4:54 PM

2 replies

Feb 4, 2016 5:04 PM in response to Trouser Slacksman

No, it should not. If your slots are arranged vertically, make sure you match slots 1 + 3, and 2 + 4 - at least that was what was recommended for the previous iMacs (I haven't seen a 2015). And, of course, they need to be the exact spec RAM.

On second thought - and after more research, here is what I found:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-4.0-27-inch-alumin um-retina-5k-late-2015-specs.html

(it will take more than the Apple recommended 32 GB total; however, I'd check with macsales.com re. the note about 4 x 16 GB modules).

This is from Apple's page:

User uploaded file

from here:

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

RAM setup for iMac 5k Retina (Late 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.