Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th Gen: Netflix - Subtitles always on by default.

Hello,

Once i start Netflix the subtitles are on, i turn them off, but as soon as i switch to another show or watch the next episode the subtitle comes right back on!!! So i have to turn it off every time i watch any show. Checked all the options and settings everything seems right! Anyone else having the same problem....

Apple TV, tvOS 9.1.1, 4th Gen

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 4:18 PM

18 replies

Nov 9, 2017 3:48 AM in response to RamziB.

Make sure you don't have subtitles enabled on the app on your phone, iPad or even on the website if you watch Netflix on your computer. It tends to carry over both language and subtitle settings over. This is something I've noticed for a couple of years. Also try turning reconfiguring the tvOS subtitles in settings. Good luck. I know how frustrating little things like this can be!

Aug 17, 2016 1:43 PM in response to RamziB.

I'm having the same issue as well. It wasn't always this way. At one point it worked normally, but for the last couple months the subtitles are always on. We switch them off through the swipe-down menu every time we watch something. I've check Netflix settings and they all seem to be fine. Anyone find a fix for this? It's pretty annoying to have to switch off subtitle manually every time we watch something.

Dec 26, 2016 3:44 PM in response to RamziB.

All settings in Netflix and Apple TV for subtitles and closed caption were set to off but suddenly getting Spanish subtitles on everything. Also checked there wasn't an overriding smart tv closed caption. Finally fixed this problem by doing a cold boot of the Apple TV 4th Gen. A warm boot (restart) did not fix it but physically disconnecting it for 20 seconds did.

Apple TV 4th Gen: Netflix - Subtitles always on by default.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.