Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any monitors work well with Mac Mini?

I purchased a Samsung 27" 1080p (1920 x 1080) thinking it would work well, but it looks so awful it makes the computer hard to use. Pixelated to say the least. I'm going to be taking it back, but also don't want to spend 400-600 on a monitor (would rather just trade in the Mini for high end IMac).

Anyone know what monitors actually work with Mini's?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 6:02 PM

19 replies

Feb 4, 2016 9:11 PM in response to jaybob3

What model Samsung and/or what input connections does it have..?

If you are using HDMI try updating the Mac Mini to 10.11.3.

If that does not help, try a Mini DisplayPort adapter from the Thunderbolt output. Problem is, we can't suggest the correct adapter without knowing exactly what other input the Samsung supports.

Feb 4, 2016 10:01 PM in response to jaybob3

jaybob3 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

It's a S27D360

You are welcome.

So only HDMI and VGA.

And I got the adapter for the thunderbolt and it's no different than the HDMI I was using prior to that.

You've got a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter...?

They both look like crap!

In what way...? Perhaps we can help with some resolution settings or something if we knew exactly what the problem was.

I have not tried to update the Mini as yet, however --

I believe that there was an HDMI fix in 10.11.2 and another in 10.11.3 that may help your case...

From 10.11.1 you could go straight to 10.11.3 using the > Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update

Feb 5, 2016 10:14 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the help, but nothing works. Did the update to 10.11.3 and didn't change a thing.

The screen basically looks like the images are being made too large and thus creates a pixelated image. Like old video games. As I type here on my 7-year old IMac, everything looks great. I'm just baffled as to how a brand new, 1920 x 1080 Samsung screen can look so dramatically inferior to my ancient IMac -- especially when I hook it up to my Direct TV and it looks fantastic. It's somehow a compatibility issue.

My wife and my mother think I'm nuts and can't see the difference -- but then they both still watch standard def TV and are just fine with it. I guess having 20/20 vision can have its curses.

If anyone thinks of something brilliant, I'm all ears. If anyone has a monitor to recommend with the latest Mini's, I'm also all ears. However, again, I don't see the point in spending 4/5 hundred on a monitor when I can just go back and buy a new 27" Imac with better guts than the Mini.

Thanks again, all!

Feb 5, 2016 10:50 AM in response to lllaass

Tried the monitor on my regular Direct TV, yes. Works great.

Have not tried another monitor using the Mini, no. I don't have another. I guess I could try to hook it up to my old IMac, but my old IMac does not have HDMI or VGA so that was a non-starter.

In the Display preferences it offers "Optimize for:" then two options, "Best for S27D360" and "Scaled". In "Scaled" the other two options are lower resolution which obviously does not help. Those are the only options afforded.

Feb 6, 2016 4:30 AM in response to jaybob3

den.ted has a point. As a desktop monitor, a 1920x1080 27" display will

have some pretty large pixels if sitting in front of it at a normal desktop

distance.

For that kind of use, you may need to play with the monitor display settings

to try and get something reasonable at that viewing distance. Especially, turn

of any of the "auto" features that it has. For instance, I know all Samsung

displays/TVs have a thing called "Dynamic Contrast" which I had to disable

on my 42" LED TV to get a decent image from my Mini I use as an entertainment

center.

Feb 7, 2016 4:00 AM in response to jaybob3

User uploaded file

I'm running with this setup on my Mini. One connected through HDMI, the other through an HDMI-Mini Display converter cable to one of my Mini's Thunderbolt 2 ports. Both are 27 inch, and for both it's the maximum possible resolution (1920x1080). Both run fine and are pretty sharp.

If you want to have really sharp images, try a smaller screen like a 21 inch model or so. The reason for me to go for a big model is that my eyesight isn't exactly 100%. The larger model makes for much easier reading.

Any monitors work well with Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.