Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I make it work with just an Apple TV, AirPort Express and iPod/iPad/iPhone?

Hello Apple people, I have a few questions regarding a new "setup" of Apple products that I'm hoping I can get to work between them. In other words, I need to find out if what I'm wanting to do CAN actually be done with this new setup.

Current set up:

• iMac mini (old one from 2010 but fully updated to OSX El Capitan)
  • external HDD as Time Capsule drive and with tons of music not purchased via iTunes store (from my CD collection)
  • old Airport Express hooked into modem (which received the optical fiber from my ISP)
  • iPad 3rd Gen
  • iPhone 6 Plus (work phone)
  • iPod Classic 5th Gen with almost 30GB of my library and plugged into my car's stereo
  • iPod Shuffle 4th Gen for gym

What I want my setup to be:

• Apple TV
  • Airport Extreme with external HDD *same from above* (with my whole iTunes music library, videos and photos backup) connected via USB
  • iPad Pro
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPod Classic 5th Gen which I want to keep plugged into my car's stereo
  • iPod Shuffle 4th Gen for gym

So my questions are these: can I continue to sync my iPod Classic and my iPod Shuffle without a computer (I'm guessing maybe not), and if so, HOW? Will I be able to sync the iPad and the iPhone over wifi without a computer as well? Also, will I be able to play my library straight from the external HDD by using the Apple TV?

I'm guessing/hoping that since the new Apple TV has the Music/iTunes app plus the Photos/iPhoto app, I should be able to connect my iPods to the AirPort and sync them through the app, AND connect the Apple TV straight to the HDD via the AirPort. And maybe also sync the iPad and iPhone over wifi throught the Apple TV apps or something Or maybe I just need to upload everything into iCloud and won't even need the HDD anymore except as a backup. HELP!

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 4:52 PM

1 reply

Feb 4, 2016 10:11 PM in response to RichoMX83

I was about to say this is a topic for apple TV section.. but I see you already got an answer there.

how can I make it work with just an Apple TV, AirPort Express and iPod/iPad/iPhone?

Apple designed their routers without any media extensions.. that means it has no idea what you have on the hard disk.. it cannot play anything.

If the new Apple TV is like the old one it is still not a media player.. it is a streamer.. you must have a computer in the network to host the iTunes..

You should be able to do a lot from iCloud though.. as long as you have super fast connection and don't pay a lot for quota.

But apple still are protecting their iTunes and they are not building devices to take over from the Computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.