Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU Leak in Garage Band?

I am an EWI player using GB as my primary environment and liking it a lot. But I just stumbled across some strange behavior I would like to bring to the community's and Apple's attention. I have been showing off my EWI and what it can do to a few friends. All of my instruments are plugins, of course: The Aria set that comes with the EWI USB, Wallander Wivi Band, SWAM, and a few others. I set up a GB project with 18 tracks empty, assigning one of my instruments to each. What happens to the CPU is quite strange. This is on a Macbook Air, top end for mid-2013: 1.7GHz Core i7, 8GM RAM. OSX 10.10.5.

I launch GB. I start playing the first track, and CPU comes up from a background ~17% to ~35%. Then I leave track 1 and start playing track 2. Simple down-arrow or mouse click and a new instrument - nice. CPU comes up about 7%. Then I start playing track 3. Fine. CPU comes up again, 8-10%. And so on. 8 tracks is the limit. At track 9, GB is running over 90%. The track plays, but it's full of pops and clicks. Quite unusable.

In other words, once a track has been touched, its CPU overhead is permanent. And - this instance of GB has been sitting for 2=3 hours now, completely inactive, and GB CPU is still over 85%, almost the peak it was hitting two hours ago.

One usually thinks of a leak as a memory problem. But this really looks like a CPU leak. What the heck is it doing as it sits with its empty tracks and does nothing.

I guess this is not typical usage. But it seems to me it suggests a serious problem in GB.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any thoughts?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 1.7 GHz Core i7

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 5:24 PM

2 replies

Feb 5, 2016 5:53 AM in response to Steve RK

Not only does CPU stay well over 80% if I play nothing for a while, it even stays there if I unplug the EWI USB. This controller has a reputation for turning out a flood of MIDI messages. So I thought that might be related to this problem. But apparently not. GB just gets busy doing nothing, and stays busy. This is not a good thing.

Does Apple watch this forum? Should I also report this somewhere else?

Feb 11, 2016 6:41 PM in response to Steve RK

I now understand it is the AU Plugins that are consuming the CPU, not GB itself. GB could solve this by not allowing AU Plugins on muted tracks to consume resources. Or by allowing us to turn off a track as easily as we can mute or solo it. So I guess that is the feature request. I have Main Stage. It might work like that over there. Somehow Main Stage does not call to me. I really like GB. It does a lot of bread-and-butter things very well. A few very simple improvements such as this would seem reasonable and would not tread unreasonably on Logic Pro, which does a million things that GB doesn't do.

CPU Leak in Garage Band?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.