Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snowleopard + Yosemite

So i need to have Snowleopard because of older photoshop but really because i am running Revit on parallels but disk warrior keeps on making my mac run better. My Diskwarrior disk is now damaged so i decided to install Yosemite on a partition 100GB i setup as a secondary startup system. All went well last nite and i was able to get Diskwarrior for Yosemite then run it to fix my directory on the Snowleopard partition. All good. Then went in and did a bunch of revit work on jobs. . . then wanted to switch over to Yosemite. Opened Prefs / Startup disk and no Yosemite showed up! Help! . . .

I will be doing the big cleansinski soon enough as i upgrade to newer revit (autodesk now "rents" it!). Plan is to back everything up re-create 2 partitions this time 700/300 gig out of my 1000 this will enable me to attempt to setup bootcamp as i understand that parallels is slower to run windows 8/revit. This is a huuuuuuuuuuuugggge deal as the saying these days goes. So i have till the 18th of February to do this as that is the date my Ultimate Building Suite expires. So how do i get Yosemite and Snow Leopard to co-exist?

Mahalo for any thoughts.

RO

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Snowleopard + Yosemite partitions

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 5:29 PM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2016 4:04 PM in response to Eric Root

Mahalo Eric

Alas i tried it a couple of times but it does not work. Install Yosemite remains in my doc and i can go thru the install and it seems to work but this is a rather tedious solution to a simple problem. I wonder if a newer OS than Yosemite might fare better?

I will be forced to wipe my imac clean in about a week as i have to upgrade revit due to my license expiring. Autodesk now permits the $8K revit to be "rented" on a yearly basis. This is smart.

So i am preparing to backup and re-establish 2 partitions one big and running the latest OS (well the latest one that works well). The other would run snow Leopard. I am assuming that when i do that i will install the latest one as the first and "primary" one hoping that this will enable me to see the snow leopard on the smaller (probably a 700 latest 300 snow leopard config). Hope this works.

My imac is 7 years old and seems to be needing disk warrior to fix directory which is why i need 2 partitions.

So any other ideas? How about the notion i just shared will it work?

I might just have to abandon Mac but i do dearly love the beautiful interface.

Mahalo

RO

Feb 6, 2016 1:15 PM in response to ozonro

If your 7-year-old iMac still has its original internal HD, it is possible that the drive is beginning to go bad, and that that is why you are seeing directory problems all the time. You might want to consider installing the two systems on a fresh external drive. You will definitely be able to see the Snow Leopard partition in Yosemite's Startup Disk preferences, but as Eric Root has mentioned, you will have to boot up with the option key held down when you are in Snow Leopard and want to switch to Yosemite. This may not work correctly if you are using a third-party keyboard.

But verify the health of your internal drive before you put a lot of time into re-installing two OS on it.

Feb 6, 2016 8:26 AM in response to ozonro

How about the notion i just shared will it work?

It should work. If Yosemite doesn't show up when you restart with the option key held down, it appears it isn't installed. If the installer still shows in the Dock, it appears Yosemite didn't install. Check your applications folder for Install OS X Yosemite. If it is there, double click on it to start the installer.

Snowleopard + Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.