Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone pop up scam on website

I have a blog, and am part of a large network of bloggers, many of whom are currently experiencing this same issue. When I go to my site, from an iPhone, using Safari, I get the scam "You've been selected to get a free iPhone" nonsense pop up. Other bloggers, same exact story. SO, the question is...is this coming from MY site, OR, alternatively, is this JUST a browser issue, and it could be happening anywhere on the web where I happen to land? If it's actually somehow malware/adware/firmware what have you on my SITE, I need to know so I can figure out how to fix it.

Any ideas/experience with this that I can share w/ these other bloggers as well? TIA.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 6:42 PM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2016 6:41 AM in response to heather t.

Hi heather t,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your blog and Safari on your iPhone. If you are having pop-up ad issues in Safari, and/or want to rule out either Safari on your iPhone or your website as the cause, you may want to try resetting & clearing out all of the web data on your iPhone, as outlined in the following articles:

If a pop-up won't close:

• On your Mac, force Safari to close. The next time you open Safari, hold down the Shift key while Safari opens. This prevents Safari from automatically reopening any windows.
  • On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, force Safari to close. To prevent Safari from automatically reopening any windows, go to Settings > Safari, then tap Clear History and Website Data. This also removes your browser history and cookies.

Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari - Apple Support

Safari web settings on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Feb 8, 2016 1:59 PM in response to brenden dv

thanks brenden - I had the same problem...twice. The first time I clicked the "ok" out of frustration thinking I would then get some kind of site where I could undo it. That didn't happen so I ended up restoring phone to factory settings. Got a variation of the same thing today but wasn't going to do the same dumb thing. Have been looking for how to get out of it.....learned something new - so thank you again.

Feb 8, 2016 4:45 PM in response to heather t.

Already answered heather t.: Iphone pop up scam

Your site exists to generate revenue through the advertisements it hosts. As I explained in that Discussion, those advertisements and the malware they will undoubtedly carry and subsequently infect Mac users are inserted by your blog hosting service, in accordance with the terms and conditions you provide.

Quoting from your own website:

"Google, as a third party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on ... Google’s use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to your users based on their visit to (your website) and other sites on the Internet. ...

These third-party ad servers or ad networks use technology to the advertisements and links that appear on (your website) send directly to your browsers. They automatically receive your IP address when this occurs. Other technologies ( such as cookies, JavaScript, or Web Beacons ) may also be used by the third-party ad networks to measure the effectiveness of their advertisements and / or to personalize the advertising content that you see."

For which you predictably disavow all responsibility:

(your website) "has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers."

I'm sorry to be so blunt Heather, but as it is, your website is practically indistinguishable than those that exist to serve adware and the widespread misery it is notorious for causing.

Follow the money. Works every time.

iphone pop up scam on website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.