Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive - Bandwidth/Downloading

Lately I had a close scare with almost losing a lot of photos of my family. That day I decided to completely change my backup strategy (which before the scare was essentially 'Keep important things on both my iMac and Macbook'. Bad, I know...

So that day I went out and bought a 3TB Time Capsule which is now doing it's job, however, as we know, a good backup strategy means one version needs to be kept off site. I explored options such as Carbonite and CrashPlan but decided that since I pay for extra iCloud Storage, I would give that a go.

So, I copied roughly 32GB of photos to my iCloud Drive as 'Photo Backup' and I left my computer on for 3 days to do the upload (I live in Australia so upload is really bad). This brings my total iCloud Drive usage to around 50GB.

However, I have found that in the course of 3 days, my download usage has been in excess of 150GB and not even looking like slowing down. nsurlsessionid is of course the culprit. I have been doing some reading but most articles on this are from early 2015 and relate to 'problems' with iCloud Drive actually saving the information but instead, continually downloading it. Since I have gotten close to my 500GB cap now, I have deleted the photos off my iCloud Drive and have also turned off iCloud Drive on my iMac. It seems to have stopped the problem. It is still going on my Macbook Pro (sigh) but it is my work computer and I really need to be saving things to my iCloud Drive for use at work.

Now, I could go to Carbonite, CrashPlan or even Dropbox but was hoping iCloud Drive could be the solution. Is there a fix for this yet? or am I doing something wrong?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 7:14 PM

6 replies

Jul 5, 2017 2:18 PM in response to kairubry

I just found I was capped at 50Mbs (down from 250Mbs) from my ISP since i already reached my 2TB max in 4 days. After some debug, icloud.exe installed on my Windows10 OS was completely saturating my network. Downloading nonstop, 24hrs / day. It also killed my 2TB cap with a couple days left on the previous billing period. I just figured we used more that month since we generally use 1.2-1.6TB of data per month.

Icloud.exe had been downloading 24hrs / day for over a week after installing. I don't recall how much is on my icloud drive but it is very very little.

Just wanted to add this info in hopes it will help someone else when their ISP tells them they are now using 20X data / day then they ever have in the past.

JB

May 5, 2016 8:52 AM in response to kairubry

I'm just weighing in to say that I've just experienced the same problem. I didn't know what it was at first. I found out something was wrong when my ISP alerted me to my excessive bandwidth issue, which was 3.7 TB for the month of April. I have all sorts of devices on my home network including, Mac's, iPads, PC's, Video Game Consoles, etc ... After quite a bit of troubleshooting I found iCloud drive to be the culprit. I can run all other iCloud services, even the photo library and it's fine but once iCloud Drive is enabled it just eats up bandwidth. I'm up to date with El Capitan 10.11.4.

It's impossible that we are the only guys to experience this problem. Apple should address this immediately !

Al-

iCloud Drive - Bandwidth/Downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.