Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off ligatures not working for iBook, only pdf

Again thanks in advance for any help you can give me! I have a font I want to use without ligatures. Under Text ---> More, I turned off ligature substitutions. The ligatures don't show up when designing the book and don't show up when I produce it as a pdf ... but when I preview the book as an iBook the ligatures show up. Is there a way to take default ligatures off? I hope so!

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 7:49 PM

12 replies

Feb 6, 2016 12:49 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I'm back. Great day off. Perfect weather. Got some great photos. And a needed breather!

So Tom, I hope you can help with the test. I exported the book as .ibooks. I don't have an iPad. Just iPhone. I put the iBooks App on my phone, but don't know how to get the book file to the phone to be tested. Assumed I could drag and drop the file to iTunes but that doesn't work. I also tried dropboxing the file to access it through by dropbox phone app. No success. What's the secret ; )

Also I contacted the font artist, hoping he could help and he isn't sure why iBooks Author would be defaulting to that particular set of ligatures since they aren't part of the base font, they are all substitutions.

Thanks Tom!

Feb 6, 2016 12:55 PM in response to Laughing Heart

Laughing Heart wrote:

Assumed I could drag and drop the file to iTunes but that doesn't work. I also tried dropboxing the file to access it through by dropbox phone app. No success. What's the secret ; )

Both of those plus email should work. Normally you have to tap on the file and you will see a menu that lets you choose to open it in iBooks.

Feb 6, 2016 12:58 PM in response to Laughing Heart

Laughing Heart wrote:

he isn't sure why iBooks Author would be defaulting to that particular set of ligatures since they aren't part of the base font, they are all substitutions.

I think iBooks could only show specific ligatures if the right codes were put into the html by iBA, and if iBooks knew how to use those codes with the font in question. I would be surprised to see that actually happen,

Feb 6, 2016 3:17 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

After downloaded into Dropbox, I got "this file type can't be viewed." Instead of .ibooks, it says .iba

I went over to iBooks, hoping it would show up there to open, but it doesn't show up to select.

I emailed it to myself and I still can't open it.

My husband has a Verizon Pad, but doesn't the iBook need to be in epub to view on a non-mac device?

I can view it on my computer using the iBook app. Is that showing me what someone with an iPad or iPhone would see? If so, it looks like I will have to redo the entire book with a different font, 'cause the alternative ligatures show up there.

Thanks, Tom, for all your help. So many things to learn and consider. Most I've been able to pick up through Lynde.com and other training videos, but the subject of ligatures has not been covered anywhere that I can find.

So you are a godsend!

Feb 6, 2016 3:38 PM in response to Laughing Heart

Laughing Heart wrote:

After downloaded into Dropbox, I got "this file type can't be viewed." Instead of .ibooks, it says .iba.....

I can view it on my computer using the iBook app. Is that showing me what someone with an iPad or iPhone would see?

You can't open an .iba file with anything, you put the wrong file in your Dropbox. You have to put the .ibooks file there.

Could you take a screenshot of what you are seeing on your computer in the iBooks app and send it to me (tom at bluesky dot org)? I am really curious to see how these ligatures are displayed. Also try emailing me the book in .ibooks format if it is not too large to send.

Feb 6, 2016 10:04 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yup you are right. I was tired. Just uploaded the correct .ibooks version on my phone and now it says "this document can only be experienced on an iPad. I assume it is because the book is in horizontal orientation.

This is the font designers, basic design and what I prefer:

User uploaded file

This is what iBooks is defaulting to:

User uploaded file

For the Love of Water (FLOW Book) is too big to email. I will take out a chapter and both send it and dropbox it to you, just in case. On my computer with ligatures opted out, it shows up correctly on the screen. It's only when it is saved as an iBook and I preview it that it defaults back to the ligatured font.

Thanks, Tom

Feb 7, 2016 7:35 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Ah, thanks for correcting my language. ; ) This screen shot was taken from my computer, remember the book doesn't open on my iPhone. "This document can only be experienced on an iPad." I don't have one. I assumed that was because the book is landscape orientation. My iOS in not up to date. My husband has the new version on his phone and I didn't like the changes, so I decided to stay where I am. Let me see if I can view it on his.

Thanks for hanging in there with me until I figure this out.

Cathy ; )

Feb 7, 2016 10:08 AM in response to Laughing Heart

Well, it looks like there is not a solution for the font glyph alternative problem and that when we looked at the iPad version there were other formatting errors showing up in the iBooks version that were not showing up in the iBook Author program view. For now I will just produce as a pdf, which is disappointing, with the hopes that in a future version of iBA these things will be worked out.

I also want to extend huge amounts of appreciation to Tom for attempting to figure this out with me. We don't always get an answer or the answer we want, but it sure is wonderful to have people helping us along the way.

turn off ligatures not working for iBook, only pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.