Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When starts Safari a box pops up saying that adfarm.mediaplex.com website cannot be verified. How do I get rid of this?

I have OS X 10.5.8 and when I click on Safari and it opens a box pops up saying that "adfarm.mediaplex.com cannot be verified. Maybe be a questionable

site and cannot be certified." I've cleaned out my cookies and cache but it pops up every time. I have also noticed that when I turn the computer on it automatically brings up the internet. It also won't turn off when I exit out of it. I have to do a "force quit". Not sure what this means but would like to get rid of the popup box.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 3:37 PM

Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something unknown is listed.

Is Safari listed there?

See if you might have this malware redirecting DNS queries...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2128387_remove-osxrspluga-trojan-horse-mac.html

How to fix...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071031114140862

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

Any more info you can provide would help.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 3:37 PM in response to susanfrombowling green

Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something unknown is listed.

Is Safari listed there?

See if you might have this malware redirecting DNS queries...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2128387_remove-osxrspluga-trojan-horse-mac.html

How to fix...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071031114140862

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

Any more info you can provide would help.

Feb 5, 2016 3:41 PM in response to BDAqua

I didn't see the first site "www.ehow.com" so I went into the console in Utilities and didn't see anything repetitive. However, the box has stopped

popping up for now.

Thank you for you help.

I have noticed that when I exit off Safari it doesn't shut down. I have to "force" it off. When I turn on my computer it automatically starts pulling

up the internet. I am beginning to wonder if someone is using it for storage or something.

Thanks

Feb 5, 2016 3:54 PM in response to susanfrombowling green

That is what we're trying to find out. 🙂

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & trash/rebuild cache files

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then...

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Feb 5, 2016 4:00 PM in response to susanfrombowling green

susanfrombowling green wrote:

I have OS X 10.5.8 and when I click on Safari and it opens a box pops up saying that "adfarm.mediaplex.com cannot be verified. Maybe be a questionable

site and cannot be certified." I've cleaned out my cookies and cache but it pops up every time. I have also noticed that when I turn the computer on it automatically brings up the internet. It also won't turn off when I exit out of it. I have to do a "force quit". Not sure what this means but would like to get rid of the popup box.

Your network connection is probably setup to connect to the internet whenever required -- if you do not want that - go into System preferences and disallow automatic connect.

If you have ever bookmarked an RSS feed - that may have been automatically refreshing a site that no longer exists - so check your book marks.

Not sure if Leopard had top sites - but if it does - that may be the problem - edit out top sites you don't want.

When starts Safari a box pops up saying that adfarm.mediaplex.com website cannot be verified. How do I get rid of this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.