Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading my Mac

Hey everyone,

I was thinking on upgrading my Macbook Pro instead of buying a new one since it has been lagging/running a lot slower over the years but still runs perfectly fine.

My current Macbook Pro info :

Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 15'', 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GM RAM, & 320 HDD, El Capitan 10.11, and bought from pawn shop

My questions (sorry if it's too much):
Would it be best to upgrade the RAM first or both RAM and HDD to an SSD?

I know that I'll be getting a Crucial 8GB RAM but for the SSD I've seen the Samsung,Crucial,and OWC brands but what would be the best option and would getting SATA III be okay or just stick with SATA II (Link Speed: 3GB/Negotiation Link Speed: 1.5 GB)?

Also would it be reasonable to exchange my HDD to a SSD if I've only used up around half of my HDD?

For programs like Word(already on my mac when I got it) if it is backed up in my time machine would I still be able to get it back or will I need to have the disk?

Lastly, for those that have been using an SSD how long do they usually last and have there been any problems with them?

Note: I have gone through this thread: Re: SSD replacement on 2009 Macbook Pro . I just wanted some more details on SSDs.

Thank you,

Nsoh

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Mid 2009

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 12:00 PM

If you have the funds by all means upgrade both RAM and SSD.

You can get everything you need at OWC. Their link will tell if SATAll or SATAlll for details.

They guarantee their SSD for 3 and 5 yrs depending on what you buy.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan(10.11.3), i7 480GB SSD 16GB RAM iPhone5 iOS9.2.1, Parallels10.0.2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 12:00 PM in response to neran21

If you have the funds by all means upgrade both RAM and SSD.

You can get everything you need at OWC. Their link will tell if SATAll or SATAlll for details.

They guarantee their SSD for 3 and 5 yrs depending on what you buy.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan(10.11.3), i7 480GB SSD 16GB RAM iPhone5 iOS9.2.1, Parallels10.0.2

Feb 5, 2016 12:00 PM in response to neran21

I owned the 13” model of the same computer you have. Several years ago I upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8GB and still unsatisfied replaced the drive with an SSD. Having done that my 2009 MBA actually seemed to perform better than my wife’s 2011 MBA in some respects which I figured was due to the extra RAM, hers having only 4GB. Curious, I returned the original RAM and tested a bit more. The extra RAM did have a positive impact on performance but actually not as much as I’d have expected. That’s a long winded way to say upgrade to an SSD for sure. If you can afford the RAM too, go for that as well.

I used to recommend three SSD models based on price, performance, and ease of use but Samsung has been removed from my list due to reports of problems that have cropped up on the internet (and I experienced personally) and conflicting answers from Samsung tech support and documentation. So today I recommend Crucial and OWC drives. I have both in my menagerie of computers. Theoretically an SSD should last much longer than a mechanical hard drive. Practically I can say that I own two SSDs that are 4 years old and if they are slower than when I bought them the difference is so slight I cannot notice it.

You can use cloning software to transfer everything from the internal drive to the SSD (assuming the SSD is large enough). You can also use TimeMachine to restore everything to the new drive. I have a drive dock (it is like an external enclosure except it is easy to pull one drive out and put another in) and I always prepare the new drive and test boot it before installing it. Either way all your software will work but you will have to re-enter serial numbers for some of the programs. If you have any software that uses an activation scheme deactivate them before you do the clone.

Feb 5, 2016 12:14 PM in response to neran21

neran21 wrote:

Lastly, for those that have been using an SSD how long do they usually last

Do your own research, but I would highly recommend enabling TRIM on your new SSD—which will make it last longer.

The advantage of the TRIM command is that it enables the SSD’s Garbage Collection to skip the invalid data rather than moving it, thus saving time not rewriting the invalid data. This results in a reduction of the number of erase cycles on the flash memory and enables higher performance during writes. The SSD doesn’t need to immediately delete or garbage collect these locations it just marks them as no longer valid.

ref: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/garbage-collection-and-trim-i n-ssds-explained-an-ssd-primer/

Simple enough to do after you have it up and running, from the command line in terminal, copy and paste:

trimforce enable

Upgrading my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.