Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Time Machine to back up my Time Capsule back up to a secondary back up drive?

I have a Mac book. I have a Time Capsule that Time Machine automatically backs up to and that works great. I am going to buy another external hard drive (one that works with Time Machine) and I have 2 questions about it.

1. I want to know if I can tell Time Machine to back up just my Time Capsule hard drive to the second external hard drive?

The reason why I want to do it that way is because my Time Capsule hard drive backs up my Mac book as well as I keep all my movies on there since they take up so much space on my computer. So my movies aren't backed up and if anything happened to the Time Capsule then I would lose all my movies. So I am looking for a way to just copy my Time Capsule hard drive instead of having to do it all manually, that way my movies are safe and I have an additional back up for my computer.

2. If I can't do what I want to above, then can I just have Time Machine make a backup of my computer to 2 different hard drives? Then I will just put copies of my movies on both hard drives manually.

3. Bonus Question: Does anyone know of a hard drive I could just plug into my Time Capsule and it would automatically back up frequently so I wouldn't have to worry about any of the above?? This is really what I want to do, but I haven't found a hard drive that can do this.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 9:43 PM

1 reply

Can I use Time Machine to back up my Time Capsule back up to a secondary back up drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.