Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.2.1 Stuck on "waiting"

Greetings.

I recently purchased a new Imac Late-2015 model and am having the worst luck using Compressor 4.2.1 or any compressor on this machine. 99% of the time it is constantly stuck on waiting or goes to processing but stops and doesn't do anything. I have done all the little tricks of deleting the compressor file in user preferences folder, as well as deleting the application support Compressor folder and even using the 3rd party Compressor Repair App. After a few rounds of doing those tasks I can usually get it to finally start processing but will quickly get stuck on "waiting" again when I go for the next video of batch exports.

Any other solutions out there for this stuck on "waiting" problems I see others are having?

Thanks so much!

Compressor, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Imac Late 2015

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 10:56 PM

7 replies

Feb 5, 2016 5:25 AM in response to iamKade

iamKade wrote:

99% of the time it is constantly stuck on waiting or goes to processing but stops and doesn't do anything.

What kind (what is the format) of files are you bringing in to Compressor? Are they self-contained files or are you sending projects from Final Cut or Motion?

I have done all the little tricks of deleting the compressor file in user preferences folder

Could you clarify what folder you deleted and its location on your system?

Russ

Feb 5, 2016 5:52 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks for the response back! I am exporting Master Files (.mov) from FCPX and then dropping them into Compressor for batching out 3 different formats : 1080mp4, 1080wmv, 480m4v.

I have deleted the entire Compressor Folder from the following path : HD/Users/Me/Library/ApplicationSupport/Compressor

*note: I take out my settings folder before deletion to save my custom formats and drop them back in when new Compressor folder refreshes on restart.

I also delete the preference file "com.apple.Compressor.plist" in the following path : HD/Users/Me/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Compressor.plist

Since the only other Compressor version I have tested on this New iMac is 4.1.3 I don't have any qmaster folders to deal with. I also go into the Compressor App Preferences when open and try to hit the following buttons with not much luck in the Reset Cue option : Reset Jobs, Cancel Jobs, or Repair Compressor.

When trying any or all of the above options I can usually get it to work for at least a video before getting stuck on "waiting" or no progression if it does start to process for a minute or two on the next movie. I have not had any issues on my MacbookPro with the same OSX and Compressor Apps,etc but got this new computer since my new job requires me to create and upload videos everyday hence my frustration with this :/

Really don't want to have to do a clean system install but if it comes down to it I suppose that is a last option. Thanks again as any ideas or help is very much appreciated!

-Kade

Feb 5, 2016 4:52 PM in response to iamKade

Do you have yesterday's Compressor 4.2.2 update along with Pro Video Formats 2.0.4 installed? If so, consider reporting your issue to Apple at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/compressor.html Since it's almost 5 p.m. in California, you probably won't receive a reply today, but you might get a response on Monday morning despite possible Super Bowl hangovers. Also, for tips about how to send effective feedback, check out: http://www.fcpworks.com/submitting-better-fcpx-feedback-to-apple/

Feb 5, 2016 9:18 PM in response to Russ H

@RussH - Wow! So I did just that and took out the WMV and did a repair and kaboom =D It actually started working without having to delete any preferences or compressor folder. So with that said why do you think the WMV is causing it to get stuck on "waiting" and any idea on how to make a WMV work since I do need one of those formats for each video. Maybe flip4mac is causing some issue so I could try doing a re-install there? Happy to know at least the issue is slowly but surely being figured out as knowing what piece of the puzzle is causing the problem is more than half the battle 🙂

Compressor 4.2.1 Stuck on "waiting"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.