Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6s dies below 32F with battery charged more than 50%

It's crazy but my iphone 6s also my wife's iphone 6s plus are die at temperatures below 32F with battery charged even 70%!! It takes 3-5 minutes to shut off. The temperatures are not critical here in winter 25..30F, but I can't use my phone!! I have original ipad mini installed in my car and it works great even at 20F and below without any problems! Also I have no problems with my previous iphone 4, 4s, 5s, 6 - all of them have no such problems!! Maybe I have a defective battery?

How's yours?

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:10 AM

I snowshoe for exercise every morning and have used the current iPhone since the first version. The iPhone 6s is by far the most sensitive to cold. The 5 was also sensitive but not nearly as much as the 6s. I must keep my iPhone inside my top layer (fleece) or it shuts down. It acts like the battery is dead but will turn back on after it warms up a bit. It only takes about 5 min in very cold temp to have it shut down. I take it out for photos but if I take too long it powers down. Of course it is humid inside my jacket so the lens often fogs up when I take it out for a photo.

My guess is the battery power output goes down dramatically when it reaches a certain temp. It will often shut down when I try to do something the takes more power like post a photo or use PhotoSynth to create a stitched image.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 8:10 AM in response to src8

I snowshoe for exercise every morning and have used the current iPhone since the first version. The iPhone 6s is by far the most sensitive to cold. The 5 was also sensitive but not nearly as much as the 6s. I must keep my iPhone inside my top layer (fleece) or it shuts down. It acts like the battery is dead but will turn back on after it warms up a bit. It only takes about 5 min in very cold temp to have it shut down. I take it out for photos but if I take too long it powers down. Of course it is humid inside my jacket so the lens often fogs up when I take it out for a photo.

My guess is the battery power output goes down dramatically when it reaches a certain temp. It will often shut down when I try to do something the takes more power like post a photo or use PhotoSynth to create a stitched image.

Feb 15, 2016 5:20 AM in response to src8

The same operating temperatures stated for perfectly working iphone 5s and for dead iphone 6s:

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

As for me, iphone died after 5 minutes at 30F means "nonoperating temperature".

When I buy new iphone I'm buying BETTER device not WORSE device as it seems from the point of operating temperature range. And Apple NEVER stated it will not work under 32F.

Feb 15, 2016 9:08 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

As I said, I own 4, 4S, 5S, 6 and 6S phones. And 6S is the first one which dies so quickly.

It even not let you call 911 if outside temperature below 32F? Ehhh?

We are not all living in California. It's not crazy low temperature.

It can be possible in early 2000 when first Li-ion batteries died so quickly.

Today is 2016. Think about it.

Feb 15, 2016 10:01 AM in response to src8

src8 wrote:

As I said, I own 4, 4S, 5S, 6 and 6S phones. And 6S is the first one which dies so quickly.

It even not let you call 911 if outside temperature below 32F? Ehhh?

We are not all living in California. It's not crazy low temperature.

It can be possible in early 2000 when first Li-ion batteries died so quickly.

Today is 2016. Think about it.

You're not reading the information correctly.

Read this article: Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range may temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when the device is brought back to higher ambient temperatures.

If the temperature is below 32°F, then if the device turns off, that is normal, expected behavior.

Feb 15, 2016 10:07 AM in response to src8

src8 wrote:

What do you think "Nonoperating temperature" means?

And what about difference between Operating and Nonoperating?

Any and all previous iPhones worked well at temperatures 20-32F, tested by myself. I bought a NEW, BETTER iphone.

Basing your expectations on previous experiences is not more valid than basing your expectations on the listed & advertised expectations.

One time, I ordered a 20 piece bucket of chicken from KFC. When I got home and started serving it out to the family, turns out there were 21 pieces. There was an extra drumstick. Does that mean that the next time I place the exact same order that I should expect an extra drumstick?

So far, you have reported that the device in question, in regard to operating temperatures, has performed exactly as designed and advertised by Apple. Therefore, your complaint that it is not performing above that designed/advertised expectation because previous devices did so is completely and totally invalid.

Feb 15, 2016 10:52 AM in response to src8

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range may temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when the device is brought back to higher ambient temperatures.

iphone 6s dies below 32F with battery charged more than 50%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.