Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lag when typing in Mac Messages app

Hello there!

I recently got my new work laptop - MacBook Pro, 13", 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3.

Everything works fine except for the messages app. Overtime i type a message there is a significant lag – after a couple of words the app doesn't keep up with what I'm typing, the "spinning wheel" appears and it takes a couple of seconds (2, 3 maybe) for the typed content to appear.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I signed out from my account, signed back in, shut down and reopened the app, restarted the MacBook, deactivated and reactivated iCloud contacts, etc. Nothing helps.

/Andy

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), MacBook is about 3 weeks old

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 1:16 AM

5 replies

Feb 6, 2016 10:05 AM in response to akreiden

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

If that doesn’t work, repeat the above but delete the com.apple.imagent.plist

Thanks to leonie and Ralph Johns (UK)for some information contained in this.

Feb 6, 2016 12:08 PM in response to akreiden

Hi,

In Messages > Edit Menu select the Spelling and Grammar option and see if a choice is selected.

Select one if it is not or turn off a selection or change it if there is one selected.

When you do this note the time.

Compare this in the Console App (Applications/Utilities) about any info shown about AppleSpell.

Make sure the Language set in System Preferences > Language and Region is compatible with the Keyboard layout choice.

User uploaded file

8:08 pm Saturday; February 6, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Lag when typing in Mac Messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.