Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email message contain strange characters

Hello community,

when sending emails from "icloud.com" Mail and using special characters like the german ä, ö, ü, the problem is, that in the recipients email client the received mail contain strange characters.

All information is right there in the email, but the email encoding must changed from "us-ascii" to "utf-8" manually to get it. Not all of my recipients were technically able to do this ;o)

Apple Support suggested a solution at iCloud: If recipients can’t read email you send them :

In iCloud Mail, click the Action pop-up menu in the sidebar, then choose Preferences.

(1) Click Composing.

(2) Select "Send outgoing messages using Unicode (UTF-8)."

(3) Click Done.

Unfortunately there is no such field "Send outgoing messages using Unicode (UTF-8)" to activate.

Anyone an idea how to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance,

Hardy

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 6:46 AM

I can't duplicate your problem with icloud webmail generating the wrong charset, mine does utf-8 automatically.

What browser? What version of OS X? What interface language for icloud.com?

2 replies

Feb 5, 2016 11:14 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for your answer!

Meanwhile I've checked some things and different constellations and I'm puzzled: Sending email by icloud.com from my Mac OS X 10.5.8 and browser Safari or Chrome, everything is fine in Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook, no matter on which platform, and the email is generated with the charset utf-8.

But sending email by icloud.com from a Windows 7 System and browser Firefox 43.0.4, the strange characters problem occurs, and email is encoded using us-ascii. Using Chrome on Windows 7 fixed the problem, emails were displayed correct on each client, encoded in utf-8.

Therefore I have to get a closer look on Firefox, why there is the bug... obvious it's not a problem of icloud.com.

By the way: the interface language is automatically set to German.

Many thanks,

Hardy

email message contain strange characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.