Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow mac pro 2008, or can't boot, but boot in safe mode

HI dudes. I have a Mac pro 2008 with yosemite.

I Can't boot in normal mode, but it's ok on safe mode.

i've changed the hd, made a clean install, but still the same.

Sometimes (days) it boots fine but other days not or if it boot is so sloooowww, if a type something, maybe 7 characters, it lasts about 30 seconds to show in screen.

I'm trying to put a hd radeon 4890 to see if the problem is the graphic (because of the fact that the mac works fine in safe mode) my graphic card now is ati 2600 256mb

i don't know what try next, i'm hopeless 😟

ps: sorry for my poor english, i'm from spain.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Ati 2600, 10gb ram ddr2, 200gb hd,

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 2:44 AM

Yes, could be a bad graphics card.

I would also run Apple Hardware Test

Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

you will need one of the original disks that came with the Mac

5 replies

Feb 5, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Sevichenko

In Safe Mode, your Mac uses only "simple graphics" and the graphics Driver is not loaded. Your Mac is working (except for accelerated graphics) and the Mac OS X on the boot disk is fine, but may have troublesome third-party add-ons.

There is no need for a re-install, unless you want to eliminate all third-party add-ons. Eliminating all third-party add-ons would require you to erase the disk, which requires a Trusted Backup, or preferably TWO trusted backups, or a blank Drive.

starting the diagnostic from the DVD takes several minutes. You must be very patient.

Slow mac pro 2008, or can't boot, but boot in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.