Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ugggh. I have a late 2011 27 inch iMac and had the hard drive upgraded along with a new SSD drive. The built in cd/dvd had to be taken out. I then bought a superdrive thinking it should work. It is crippled on my iMac!

Ugggh. I have a late 2011 27 inch iMac and had the hard drive upgraded along with a new SSD drive. The built in cd/dvd had to be taken out. I then bought a superdrive thinking it should work. It is crippled on my iMac! Gee, who could have possibly guessed that would have happened? I tried all kinds of wacky workarounds I found on the internet but still it will not record the stack of dvd's and other disks I have.

SO, if you are like me and upgrade your iMac that came with a cd/dvd player internally... and it must come out to give room for the fusion or SSD drive, do NOT buy the apple superdrive. It will not work with your computer!

Think I will get a samsung portable...

iMac and Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 4 gb

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 6:16 AM

Ironic isn't it? Apples own Superdrive won't work with Apple computers. Pity you didn't check here first we could have warned you. Return the overpriced Apple unit and buy a nice third party drive for a third of the price. I like the LG units. You might consider a tray loading drive as they are more reliable and you can use those pesky mini discs when you get one.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 6:16 AM in response to JGPatterson

Ironic isn't it? Apples own Superdrive won't work with Apple computers. Pity you didn't check here first we could have warned you. Return the overpriced Apple unit and buy a nice third party drive for a third of the price. I like the LG units. You might consider a tray loading drive as they are more reliable and you can use those pesky mini discs when you get one.

Ugggh. I have a late 2011 27 inch iMac and had the hard drive upgraded along with a new SSD drive. The built in cd/dvd had to be taken out. I then bought a superdrive thinking it should work. It is crippled on my iMac!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.