Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crucel ssd question

Let say is this normal when you shutdown the ssd drive i have to take a few mins and wait for ssd then turn back?I was told that some drive do this but that when i am on mac 10.11.3 but when i am on mac 10.10.3 with trim it a lot faster then with trim on mac 10.11 odd.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 4:17 AM

19 replies

Feb 6, 2016 5:16 AM in response to perlsyntax

What Crucial recommended was to let your SSD sit idle for 6-8 hours to allow Garbage Collection to clean the drive. So, restart and hold your Alt/Option key until you see drives to select for booting and don't select anything. Just let it sit there for 6-8 hours. Then after that time period, restart normally and see if things are better.

Feb 6, 2016 9:27 AM in response to perlsyntax

perlsyntax wrote:

...Cruel support told me to go into option hold down power and let be at the start disk menu for 6-8 hours is this trie for all ssd drive?

What Crucial told you to do was based on running your SSD without TRIM being activated. Read through their explanation and then activate TRIM. This link will tell you how. You'll still need to follow their instructions once because that power-on state allows their Active GC routines to clean up the drive if TRIM hasn't been activated yet. Once it is, TRIM will take care of the cleanup that Active GC does.

Feb 6, 2016 9:48 AM in response to perlsyntax

Hi Perisyntax:

You should have trim enabled. If you are using El Capitan it does support Trim.

To enable TRIM, first save all your open documents as this will reboot your Mac.

1) launch Terminal.

2) Type "sudo trimforce enable".

3) Confirm that you want to enable trim.

4) Reboot your Mac.

To verify that TRIM is enabled, click the Apple icon in the top left of your screen. Choose "About this Mac" -> "System Report" -> "SATA/SATA Express" and look for the entry "Trim Support". It should say "yes" if trim has been enabled.

Feb 6, 2016 1:55 PM in response to perlsyntax

You should understand that TRIM identifies files being deleted to the SSD controller as being erasable, since without TRIM the controller considers deleted files to still be valid even though the Mac OS no longer does. That will be true for those files deleted before TRIM is first activated, and that's what the Active Garbage Collection (6-8 hours in the Startup Manager [booting with the Option key down]) is supposed to fix. So unless you've had TRIM activated ever since you first installed the SSD, what Crucial recommended is still necessary.

Feb 6, 2016 2:20 PM in response to perlsyntax

Any cleanup not directed by TRIM needs a "powered but not active" state. Probably would not hurt to let your system sit at that state while you sleep tonight, maybe a couple nights this week. Not accusing you of anything ... probably would not hurt for *me* to as well because I sometimes forget to *immediately* activate TRIM when I turn on my computer.

Feb 6, 2016 2:27 PM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

...probably would not hurt for *me* to as well because I sometimes forget to *immediately* activate TRIM when I turn on my computer.

TRIM is either activated or it isn't and the System Report should state which it is, as KimUserName explained. Once "trimforce enable" is executed in Terminal, TRIM will be continuously activated.

Feb 6, 2016 2:38 PM in response to perlsyntax

Some people do that. Mine stays on and just sleeps at night so I do not have to restart. Personal choice.

The action Crucial suggests is not "only-off or only-on". Crucial wants you to use the "option" key at startup to get the possible boot options. Disk is not really active, just powered enough to choose startup disk. Let it sit at that stage for 6-8 hours for the base-firmware garbage-collection to occur.

Feb 6, 2016 2:38 PM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

I run Mavericks ... needs "TrimEnabler" from cindori. ElCap will eventually be a need for me.

Either way, TRIM should be on continuously once it's enabled. I used cindori's TrimEnabler too with Mountain Lion, before Apple opened Yosemite and then El Capitan to TRIM with third party SSD's, and TRIM stayed on over shutdowns and booting without any intervention. Indeed, "trimforce enable" is what finally got me to upgrade to Yosemite.😉

Crucel ssd question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.