Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have forgotten my icloud password. How can I retrieve it.

Accidently pressed 'find my phone' have forgotten icloud password and can not turn it off. I followed instructions to change apple password and this does not appear to work. Can you advise as to how I can turn this instruction off or retrieve my icloud password. Thankyou

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 4:41 AM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2016 2:06 PM in response to shirleyfromwindsor

Hello there, shirleyfromwindsor.

It seems that you've been unable to reset your iCloud password so that you can disable Find My iPhone. The following Knowledge Base article offers some instruction on how to do that and some additional steps if you are still unable to:

If you forgot your Apple ID password

Reset your password

You can reset your password when you go to your Apple ID account page and click Forgot Apple ID or password. Enter your Apple ID, then click Next.

User uploaded file

After you enter your Apple ID, there are a few ways you can change your password:

Answer your security questions

If you know the answers to your security questions, select "Answer security questions" and follow the steps to reset your password.

Use email authentication

If you select "Get an email," we'll send an email to your primary or rescue email address that you can use to reset your password. Didn't get the email?

User uploaded file

If you use two-step verification

If you set up two-step verification, you can use it to change your password. You just need a recovery key and a trusted device. Follow these steps:

Enter your Recovery Key.

User uploaded file

1. Choose a trusted device. We'll send your device a verification code.
  2. Enter the verification code.
  3. Set a new password and select Reset Password.

If you permanently lost your recovery key or access to your trusted device, you can't change your password.

If you use two-factor authentication

If you have two-factor authentication, you can reset or change your password from your trusted iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Password & Security.
  4. Tap Change Password.
  5. Enter a new password.

These steps will work only from a trusted device with a device passcode enabled. If you don’t have access to a trusted device, you can reset your password when you follow these steps:

1. Go to iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID.
  2. Enter your trusted phone number and click Continue.
  3. Enter the verification code that we send to your trusted phone number.
  4. Provide any additional account information requested.
  5. Choose your new password.

If you can’t sign in, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery to regain access to your account. Account recovery will take a few days, depending on what account information you can give.

User uploaded file

After you reset your password

After you reset your password, you'll be prompted to sign in again with your new password. You also might need to update your password in Apple services and on your devices.

User uploaded file

Get more help

If you're still having issues signing in with your Apple ID and password, make sure that you're entering the correct Apple ID. In most cases, your Apple ID is also the primary email address of your Apple ID account. If these steps didn't help you change your password, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

I have forgotten my icloud password. How can I retrieve it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.