Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2008 no bootable media. No keyboard.

No matter if drives are installed or not the same message keeps popping up. Mouse gets power so I know USB ports are working but it doesn't recognise the keyboard. I've even tried pc keyboards and nothing. No boot camp is installed either. These are straight 10.7 and 10.11. OS X disks. each os is on its own drive. No multiple partitions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 4:37 AM

15 replies

Feb 5, 2016 5:55 AM in response to 82atari5200

Disconnect everything but one monitor, mouse, KB and power.

- Try resetting the SMC

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Have you tried the EB in all, front and back, USB ports?

Are you saying you get that with a 6.8 install DVD in the optical drive?

Slide out all HD sleds except for one and try with only one sled inserted at a time. Try different sleds.

If you open the side cover are any diagnostic light lit?

Is Power light steady white?

When did it last work?

Feb 5, 2016 7:29 AM in response to 82atari5200

The front USB ports as a group and the back USB ports as a group have separate power budgets. Try plugging the keyboard on the other end.

The simplest thing your Mac can do without using a Boot Drive is Alt/Option boot. This should draw a blank screen and over several minutes will add an icon for each potentially-bootable drive.

A Mac Pro with blinking power light is trying to send you a message. The message is most often "not enough RAM in working condition to start up".

Feb 5, 2016 8:00 AM in response to 82atari5200

Just to be extra clear, Alt/Option boot is a snag-key that is activated ONLY at power-on. It does take several minutes to do its scan. It will draw a gray screen regardless of whether it finds any boot drives.

In any case, you should have a chime that indicates your Mac has passed the power-on Self test.

If no chime, the approved method for further diagnosis is to strip the machine, removing everything that could be drawing down power -- every PCIe card, every extra RAM, every USB device, every drive -- and try for the chime.

Feb 5, 2016 9:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

WHen I push the button the computer chimes. It the displays a cursor and states no boot media. Press any key. When I hold down the alt key whilst powering up it chimes and still displays the cursor and the no boot message. I've held the button down for several minutes and nothing. I've tried 2 different drives with 2 different OS X installs and 2 different Apple keyboards and a regular windows keyboard and nothing. I've reset the smc I've swapped out the battery. It has 32gb of ram so I know it has plenty of memory.

Mac Pro 2008 no bootable media. No keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.