Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow download times

Is anyone else experiencing tediously slow download times for music and App updates? I know there were a lot of problems with iTunes in the last but one build (most of which now seem to be fixed) but it's still taking ages to download files. I have fiber optic broadband and my connection is a-ok. All other downloads are as fast as they should be but iTunes is really slow. Here's a few examples:

Messenger 90mb file - over 6 minutes to download the update

Starbucks 85mb file - over 5 minutes to download " " "

Kindle 89mb file - over 7 minutes " " " " "

Easyjet 65mb file - over 8 minutes " " " " "

Hipstamatic 69mb file - said 4 minutes to download but took over 6 minutes after it had settled down!

Any idea what is causing this? It makes no difference if I download files to my computer or directly to my NAS. Still really slow!

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 4:39 AM

4 replies

Feb 5, 2016 12:04 PM in response to Limnos

That's a rather sarcastic (and not very helpful) response. Did I use the expression "super fast fiber optic whizz-bang connection"? Did I at ANY point try to suggest that my internet connection was better than anyone else's? Saying that it is "a-ok" simply means it's been tested by my provider and performing how they would expect it to. I asked a perfectly legitimate and genuine question (from my perspective).

So how do you explain ALL my other internet usage running at normal speed. And I mean ALL (web pages, software updates, even Yosemite updates). How do you explain App updates direct to my phone, downloading 3 or 4 times faster over WIFI than over broadband? If anything, wifi should be slower because of external factors like building construction, distance from router etc.

iTunes downloads were all fast BEFORE the car crash that was last summers big iTunes update. It's only since then that they've slowed to a crawl.

Feb 5, 2016 12:55 PM in response to Julian Roche1

Well, I am sure this kind of topic will garner a lot of "me too!" replies and you will not get any posts from Apple about it. If it is an issue with iTunes then Apple's response is to quietly issue an update. If it is their servers then they will likely work on those and not mention anything at all and you'll just see the issue disappear. One-on-one customer updates is not their forte. If you really want Apple to hear your displeasure: http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html The thing is, they might also wonder if despite your highspeed connection it could be a slow link somewhere else. Having a Porche doesn't mean high speed driving if you're caught behind a tractor somewhere.

Feb 6, 2016 9:10 AM in response to Limnos

I fully appreciate what you're saying. Apple don't provide a tailored update programme for individual users and that's perfectly understandable. I just don't understand why it WAS fast before last summers update and now its very slow, for me at any rate. I have a couple of devices that don't integrate with iTunes so I have to use a NAS in order to get music to them. But whether I download updates and music to the NAS or the computer, it's still slow.

I have sent a note to feedback (and also Tim Cook) but I don't expect a reply from the latter. He'll read it but that's about all.

Very slow download times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.