Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually check for mail for real!

I want to set the preferences in my Mail program so it will only go and check for new mail when I tell it to do so; not on launch, not any other time unless I choose for it to do so. I have gone through the preferences windows many times and addressed any seemingly relevant settings there but the program still goes to check for mail on launch no matter what. I am attaching a screen shot of my current settings in preferences and that clearly says "Manually" under when to check for mail. What am I missing?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 5:04 AM

2 replies

Feb 5, 2016 10:42 PM in response to CT

Tried that too....all my accounts in preferences are set like this with "include when automatically checking for new messages" unchecked.

User uploaded file

Still checks. Also checks whenever I leave Mail to work in a second program and then click back on the viewer window. Given all these instances in which Mail does go check for new messages despite all these setting changes, I have to wonder exactly what "Check for New Messages:Manually" even means?

Manually check for mail for real!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.