Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought an iPhone Owner having trouble deleting iCloud account

I recently bought an iPhone6 that is still tied to an iCloud account. I contacted the previous owner and it turns out he had lost the phone over a year ago and wasn't the person I bought the phone from. Lucky for me after we talked a little he is a pretty good guy that offered remove the phone from his iphone account so I could use it. (I had already checked with the phone carrier and they said it was good to go on their end.)

Here is the issue, he sent me a message that he went into itunes and deleted the phone but it still shows locked to an iCloud account. So he said he would go back and see what else he could do but now the phone isn't there so he isn't sure what to do..... what can I tell him? I want to make it as easy as possible for him since he really didn't have to do this.

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:08 AM

What you need is the Apple ID password so you can sign out of iCloud/Find My Phone.

9 replies

Feb 14, 2016 4:20 PM in response to wannab1

well still stumped.... Apple called me and said all I needed to do was do a restore and walked me through that. Once we got it going I let her go thinking all was good. After rebooting it was still tied to his account so I tried to call her back but had to leave a message. She called the original owner (understandable) then told him it that "the ball was in my court" and she would call me, been a couple of days and still haven't received that call.

Here is something that got me to thinking something is wrong on my end. I actually have to update & restore but I have noticed something (I tried to restore several times) it doesn't appear to be taking the update either. I've watched the whole process and everything appears to go as it should but every time I try again it still states that I need to update.....

Bought an iPhone Owner having trouble deleting iCloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.