Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Air disk & iTunes breaks my drive...

I seem to have trouble running iTunes 12.3.04 while using a 2TB 5400 rpm G-tech USB drive as an Air Disk attached to my Airport, holding my iTunes library via Wifi. When copying new songs into iTiunes on my iMac with the Air Disk mounted, they copy into iTunes slowly, which i understand is due to the Wifi even though i have a strong 4-bar signal, but sometimes it chokes and i get an error message (can't remember what it says, but something like "cannot be completed"), and then the Air Disk goes offline.

So i shut everything down, connect the G Tech drive directly to the computer, try to open iTunes but the iTunes XML is messed up and I have to rebuild it (39,000 songs!)... recently it killed the drive altogether and I had to re-format, as Disk Utility "could not fix the problem"...

Does anyone know what is causing this? Slowness of wifi messing up the iTunes XML? Why would it kill the drive? Or mess up the directory so badly that I need to re-format? My computers are physically too far away from the AirPort to connect via ethernet and I also like the idea of mulitple computers accessing the Air Disk. But basically it seems to not work very well. I guess I am pushing the system eh?

thanks

-josh

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 6:43 AM

There are no replies.

Air disk & iTunes breaks my drive...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.