Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone is losing memory?

Yesterday, I found out that my iphone had "no memory left" when it should have 14 gigs left. I have a 32 gig iphone 5. I went to storage settings, calculated the total space my apps were taking (including photos, videos, etc.). I should at least have 14 gigs of space left, but my iphone keeps on saying it has 0 bytes left. I deleted a 2.8 gig size app yesterday, did nothing on my phone after that, but now im back to 0 bytes? This storage space problem happened after I downloaded 9.2.1. What is happening?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:32 AM

Instead of using the phone to try and determine the amount of space, connect your device to the computer and iTunes. Once you have selected the device, look at the graphic at the bottom of the page in Summary. This shows you a graphic of used space, in color, based on what the content is. How much space is taken up in Other? If you have deleted photos on the device, have you removed them from the Recently Deleted folder? If not, they are still taking up space on the phone. It could be that in the course of updating, since you indicate this occurred around the update, that a file may have become corrupted in your backup/phone. That can be observed with the check I have described. Also, did you power off the phone after you deleted that large app?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 7:32 AM in response to blade430

Instead of using the phone to try and determine the amount of space, connect your device to the computer and iTunes. Once you have selected the device, look at the graphic at the bottom of the page in Summary. This shows you a graphic of used space, in color, based on what the content is. How much space is taken up in Other? If you have deleted photos on the device, have you removed them from the Recently Deleted folder? If not, they are still taking up space on the phone. It could be that in the course of updating, since you indicate this occurred around the update, that a file may have become corrupted in your backup/phone. That can be observed with the check I have described. Also, did you power off the phone after you deleted that large app?

May 2, 2016 5:25 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem as blade430 on my iPhone 5s with the last IOS.

I had to completely delete then restore my iPhone to recover 5 Gb memory left of the 16 Gb total (with the same apps, music and photos restored...).

Because I used since several months to listen to many podcasts with the Apple native app, I suspected this app to lose memory, even without downloading the podcasts and regularly clearing the app. It reported small amount of memory use but perhaps contains a bug with a memory lose.

Since I used another Podcast app, RSSradio, my memory is stable.

Do you know this issue?

Thanks.

May 2, 2016 8:39 AM in response to Toutmo6

At times, phones can have storage issues, and this can easily be identified by looking at the graphic in iTunes. If this graphic shows a large amount of "Other", then you need to restore the phone. Just a restore from a backup will generally fix the issue. Any app can experience problems with corrupt data that will jam up the memory.

My iphone is losing memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.