Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this community so please be patient.

I've just brought a Apple Time capsule from a well known action site but I just can't get it to work.

I plug it in and the status light goes green for a second, then yellow, then blinking yellow ?

There is no sign of any airport devices on the Airport Utility ?

What do I do? The seller said it worked fine ?

Regards.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:13 AM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2016 7:22 AM in response to Opplemon

plug it in and the status light goes green for a second, then yellow, then blinking yellow ?

This is normal for a Time Capsule that has not been set up yet to work with your modem. When you say....."plug it in"......what is the Time Capsule plugging into? The make and model number of your modem would really help us.

There is no sign of any airport devices on the Airport Utility ?

You will not "see" the Time Capsule in AirPort Utility until you set it up to work with your modem by using the configuration "wizard".

Do you have the "tower" shaped version of the Time Capsule?......or......the "flat" or "square" version? If you have the flat, square version, we need the model number from the bottom of the device. It starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. Usually, the model number is embedded in the foam pad base.

Feb 5, 2016 9:05 AM in response to Opplemon

Please keep in mind that when you buy a used product online, the seller will always say that it is working "perfectly".....but, there is often a reason why the user is selling a product that is working "perfectly".

A 3rd Gen Time Capsule is anywhere from 5 to 7 years old depending on when it was purchased and first put into action. The average useful life of a Time Capsule is, on average, about 3 years.

We will assume that the Time Capsule is working correctly. Please follow these instructions very closely:

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7 to 8 seconds and then release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart again

Power off the Time Capsule

User uploaded file

Look on the back of the Netgear hub to locate the LAN <--> Ethernet ports. There are likely 4 of them. Choose any one that you wish and connect an Ethernet cable from that port to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule again and let it run for a few minutes

On your iMac.......make sure that WiFi is turned on and then click the WiFi icon at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Just below that, click on Time Capsule

The example below shows an AirPort Extreme as the new base station. You will see Time Capsule on your screen

When you click on Time Capsule, that will get the setup "wizard" running. It will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like this.....except that you will see a picture of a Time Capsule.

User uploaded file

For Network Name.......Type in a name that you want to call your Time Capsule wireless network

For Base Station........Type in a device name that you want to call the Time Capsule

For Password.......Type in a password that will be used for both the wireless network and Time Capsule device

For Verify......Type in the same password to confirm

Click Next

The setup wizard will configure everything for you automatically.

Wait for a minute or two until you see the screen message of Setup Complete, then click Done

Now, you have a nice green light on the Time Capsule and it is ready to go.

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Generation) - Setup GuideNov 9, 2009 - 910 KB

Time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.