Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What version of Safari first supports one-task-per-window?

I am trying to get a bit more performance from an older MacBook, that is often used with many Safari windows open.

I am trying to understand what version of Safari made the transition to one-task-per-window organization, to get better processor utilization from a multiple-processor Mac.

What version of Mac OS X that version of Safari appears in would also be very helpful.

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:24 AM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2016 10:23 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Found it:

Safari version 7, included in Mavericks, is Apple’s answer. It sports a new process-per-tab architecture, finally following in Chrome’s footsteps—though this change is part of WebKit itself, not just the Safari application. It’s too early to tell if this change will restore Safari’s stability, but I can report that I have not seen a single Safari crash or “webpages are not responding” dialog in all my Mavericks testing. (I’ve seen many in Safari 6 while writing this review in Mountain Lion.)

from page 4 (Safari) of this 25-page review of Mavericks by John Siracusa:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/4/

What version of Safari first supports one-task-per-window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.