Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right click works only sporadically - Wired Mighty Mouse

iMac 4K Retina, OSX El Capitan 10.11.3

Purchased December 2015

(My wired Mighty Mouse came with my iMac at time of purchase from my local Apple Store.)

THE PROBLEM -

When I right click on the mouse when it is set to "secondary button", it only works sporadically, somewhere between 10%-20% of the right clicks. I temporarily set it to something else (like dashboard) and it seemed to work OK for that, although I did not leave it there for more than 10 minutes. I've tried restarting my iMac - problem persists. This problem occurs in all apps.

I think this problem has been happening for me since purchase. I just ignored it for the first few weeks, assuming my right-clicking technique just needed to be honed. When it persisted beyond a few weeks, I got frustrated but still ignored it. After 10-11 weeks now, its persistent, constant recurrence has become intolerable. (Never had this problem with any other mouse on any machine).

Here are the specs for my wired mouse:

Apple Optical USB Mouse:

Product ID: 0x0304

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 1.10

Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Mitsumi Electric

Location ID: 0x14200000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 1000

Current Required (mA): 100

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Mouse - Apple Optical USB, wired-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:51 AM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2016 8:57 AM in response to fredfromworthington

Hello Fred,

Glad you were able to write a new thread; always the best route to follow, it makes replies personal. I am a little surprised you were given a wired mouse with a new 2015 imac running El Capitan. Where did you buy it? If you're in the UK (as your user name suggests) you can take it back and exchange. Ask the shop to test it themselves. Although the Apple rule is 14 days in the UK it can be much longer if an item is unfit for purpose. Sale of goods act. Take a look at this help document about interference.

Fix Common Magic Mouse Issues | Magic Mouse Help

Feb 5, 2016 10:42 AM in response to seventy one

Seventy one,

Actually, I lived in Worthington, the suburb of Columbus, Ohio, USA until a few months ago - now in the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. So, I bought my iMac at the Apple Store here in Cincinnati.

And, I actually requested the wired mouse instead of the wireless bc I like to minimize things with batteries whenever I can bc I am an environmentalist and battery-powered stuff is much less environmentally friendly. Plus, I dont move my iMac around, and I have room for the cord. Yeah, I know, I'm out of the mainstream.

I'll try the PRAM reset and let you know. Thanks for the advice.

Feb 6, 2016 10:22 AM in response to fredfromworthington

It occurs to me that the mouse may be faulty out of the box... take IT to the Genius Bar and make them prove it up (I know, "intermittent" is hard to nail down)

make a reservation > Genius Bar - Apple Store - Apple

You can return(exchange) a product within 14 days for ANY reason. > http://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund <

Is this an Apple Mouse?

User uploaded file

Right click works only sporadically - Wired Mighty Mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.