Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wireless Apple Mouse has stopped working.

Initially system software warned me that the batteries were low. Then it ceased working completely. I replaced with new(tested good) AA batteries and the mouse will still not connect to my iMac. Software is updated to 10.11.3. My trackpad works ok therefore the BT function is still good. I have even tried another wireless Apple mouse and it will not connect either. Can an optical mouse like this just fail?

OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1333ram

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 3:57 PM

A mouse could just fail, indeed at the end of its life it can do nothing else. I think your first test is to hold the mouse upside down and check if you have a green light showing. If so, the batteries are probably ok. if the light flickers it is quite likely the connections are at fault. Clean the inside of the battery compartment thoroughly in case there is any residue from previous batteries. Clean your battery connections and try again. You could also, try your mouse (indeed, both of them) with another computer, perhaps that of a friend. It doesn't matter if it is a pc. That will confirm the efficacy of the mice.

Magic Mouse 2 has been designed and developed for El Capitan (10.11.3) ... so older mice may not function quite so well but I haven't heard any complaints yet.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 3:57 PM in response to toolflyer

A mouse could just fail, indeed at the end of its life it can do nothing else. I think your first test is to hold the mouse upside down and check if you have a green light showing. If so, the batteries are probably ok. if the light flickers it is quite likely the connections are at fault. Clean the inside of the battery compartment thoroughly in case there is any residue from previous batteries. Clean your battery connections and try again. You could also, try your mouse (indeed, both of them) with another computer, perhaps that of a friend. It doesn't matter if it is a pc. That will confirm the efficacy of the mice.

Magic Mouse 2 has been designed and developed for El Capitan (10.11.3) ... so older mice may not function quite so well but I haven't heard any complaints yet.

My wireless Apple Mouse has stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.