Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much of my data from my Windows Xp computer can I convert to an Apple computer

How much of my data from my Windows Xp computer can I convert to an Apple computer. Will I need all new programs (software)?

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 9:39 AM

So far as software goes, yes, you will need almost entirely new software.

If you installed your software by disk (cd or dvd) check the box your software came in. It will say if it is Mac compatible. Some software disks have installers for both Windows and Mac computers.

The good news is a lot of software you are familiar with using in Windows has a Mac version that you can buy. For instance- Microsoft office- you can buy a Mac version of the software and will be able to then open your existing Word, Excel, etc. files that you have on your XP computer.

So far as photo/image files, PDFs and other common format files that you have on your XP computer you will be able to open these files just fine on a Mac.

Good luck on your switch. As a recent converter from PC to Mac I know if can be a bit of a challenge. But I found it is worth it!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 9:39 AM in response to gmcsjerry

So far as software goes, yes, you will need almost entirely new software.

If you installed your software by disk (cd or dvd) check the box your software came in. It will say if it is Mac compatible. Some software disks have installers for both Windows and Mac computers.

The good news is a lot of software you are familiar with using in Windows has a Mac version that you can buy. For instance- Microsoft office- you can buy a Mac version of the software and will be able to then open your existing Word, Excel, etc. files that you have on your XP computer.

So far as photo/image files, PDFs and other common format files that you have on your XP computer you will be able to open these files just fine on a Mac.

Good luck on your switch. As a recent converter from PC to Mac I know if can be a bit of a challenge. But I found it is worth it!

Feb 5, 2016 9:40 AM in response to gmcsjerry

That's a bit difficult to answer without knowing what it is that is on your current computer.

In general, the following may be of some help:

Windows programs can be run on a Mac but you will need to buy a license for Windows and then install it either via Bootcamp https://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/ or via 3rd party software such as http://www.parallels.com/

Depending on what it is that you need or want to do, installing Windows may not be necessary as there may be equivalent Mac programs available. A new Mac includes Pages, Numbers, Keynote software which has many of the same capabilities as Microsoft Office. There is also very good free software available such as https://www.libreoffice.org

Regarding data, Microsoft Office files from Windows can be opened on a Mac. Photos are compatible.

For more information you may need to reply with more specifics as to the kind of data.

Feb 5, 2016 11:16 AM in response to gmcsjerry

Most of your data will work fine on a Mac. The exceptions will be Microsoft-only formats. As an example, if you have a lot of videos in .WMV format, these are not viewable in OS X unless you get buy the Flip4Mac codec. As FoxFifth mentioned, BootCamp or Parallels allow you to install your copy of Windows on your Mac, after which you can reinstall all your Windows software. This eases the transition a lot.

How much of my data from my Windows Xp computer can I convert to an Apple computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.